• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

hard starting am, and blow bye

k8ble

Reaction score
hello all
i have a problem with hard starting in the am and then blow buy coming out of the dip stick,, any help 1995 6.5diesel turbo 260 kmiles, also i seen glow plugs on ebay and wonder if there better than regular ones. stating there hotter and are 60 gram ?

thanks

hard starting again 95 k3500 diesel

:skep:well the summer has been a busy one and haven't had much time until now to try and finish up on my 95 chevy k3500 diesel 4x4, i got around to changing the lift pump and fuel filter because on more hard starting issues. after doing this i prep'd the fuel filter
with tranny fluid it started and ran for a bit then quit, so i cracked the value on the filter let fuel run out but didn't start, so then i open the drain valve and then it started.ran fine for a long time, drove out to the lot and parked it for the nght. next day went to start it no start until i did the out of fuel thing again. so looking around i found a 1/4 dia rubber hose coming out of what looked like the injector on the first cylinder on the drivers side just above the temp module in the head, was leaking so i repaired it,
then it again wouldn't start. so again did the out of fuel thing. so i am looking to check every thing i ve done to it again and find no leak's no run'o error's "lol". since i still have alott of blow buy, coming out of both the dip stick and oil cap, i changed the cdl next to the turbo and this is as far as i've got. any othe suggestions?

thanks Bill

Is the lift pump running while the engine is running? How are you running the LP to fill the filter manager and get fuel out the drain?

I ask because the LP is powered by a relay during cranking but the OPS while the engine is running. It sound like it is not pumping while the engine is running.

95 chev diesel"

Is the lift pump running while the engine is running? How are you running the LP to fill the filter manager and get fuel out the drain?

I ask because the LP is powered by a relay during cranking but the OPS while the engine is running. It sound like it is not pumping while the engine is running.

i filled the fuel filter with trans fluid, then as i crank it open the pitcock until diesel came out. i'm going to have to look up that relay on alldata. before i changed the lift pump when i use to try starting it, i could hear the viberation of the lift pump from inside the cab after trying to start it the first time. and after after a few more times trying to start it, it ran."OPS" ?.
THANKS AGAIN

The OPS will power the lift pump when the truck is running. So get the engine started and then go open the drain on the T-stat housing to see if you have fuel pressure while the truck is running. If while running there is no fuel coming out then your LP is not running. You cannot tell what is powering the LP when you crank, because it gets power when ignition is in the crank/start position through the relay, and while cranking oil pressure can build enough when you crank a while, so the OPS could start powering it.

Cranking just to power the LP isnt necessary, you can power it other ways so youre not putting unneeded wear and tear on starter and batteries. Should not crank it for more than about 10 seconds at a time, and about once per minute.

If you read the LP and OPS sticky it will explain the whole system. Yours is OBD1 which is explained throughout that thread.

:skep:well the summer has been a busy one and haven't had much time until now to try and finish up on my 95 chevy k3500 diesel 4x4, i got around to changing the lift pump and fuel filter because on more hard starting issues. after doing this i prep'd the fuel filter
with tranny fluid it started and ran for a bit then quit, so i cracked the value on the filter let fuel run out but didn't start, so then i open the drain valve and then it started.ran fine for a long time, drove out to the lot and parked it for the nght. next day went to start it no start until i did the out of fuel thing again. so looking around i found a 1/4 dia rubber hose coming out of what looked like the injector on the first cylinder on the drivers side just above the temp module in the head, was leaking so i repaired it,
then it again wouldn't start. so again did the out of fuel thing. so i am looking to check every thing i ve done to it again and find no leak's no run'o error's "lol". since i still have alott of blow buy, coming out of both the dip stick and oil cap, i changed the cdl next to the turbo and this is as far as i've got. any othe suggestions?

thanks Bill

Bill check out this thread that I started today it may or may not help you. http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?25650-Hard-Starting
Also before me someone else did a LP mod on my truck. I can here it run when the key is turned to the on position or even in the ACC position. It seems like what they did was just hook it up to the key switch power. I have just left it alone since it is working this way just fine and I have owned this truck for 5 years now with the only trouble being minor stuff like PMD and vacuum lines.

That RED trans fluid will contaminate the Optical sensor in the IP???? Adding trans fluid to the diesel fuel is an old thing that we should not do anymore.
Unfortunately, you introduce another variable that may hinder you in the proper diagnosis. Stop doing it!!!

You need a proper working OPS in OBD-I as Buddy mentioned. Your symptom sounds like your OPS is bad.
If you change ghe OPS make sure you put in ACDelco OPS NOT the store brand like Wells, Niehoff, etc.

That RED trans fluid will contaminate the Optical sensor in the IP???? Adding trans fluid to the diesel fuel is an old thing that we should not do anymore.
Unfortunately, you introduce another variable that may hinder you in the proper diagnosis. Stop doing it!!!

You need a proper working OPS in OBD-I as Buddy mentioned. Your symptom sounds like your OPS is bad.
If you change ghe OPS make sure you put in ACDelco OPS NOT the store brand like Wells, Niehoff, etc.

well thanks for strightening me on that tranny fluid can't wait to tell the kbow it all's at the shop. well i got it started today after installing a new shift cable,
but still have run into some ther problems. last fall i re-wire all the GP'S and installed new one's worked ok but still took a while to start. but this is when like after the 2nd try i could hear the lp chirpin after it quit thats when i had succes starting, so i throught it's time for a lp and filter so after i finshed that and tried starting it took a while but got it running, but i think after a few minutes it ran out of fuel. so i started it again but had to use startng fluid***************then i noticed
that it was missing so i open the fuel filter valve to let the air out, but it didn't seem to quit, so i am thinking i must of screwed something when i changed the filter becase you would think if it was the lift pump it would leak also. so there's were i am today.the last time i had it running it ran for 15 min or more until i tried to drive it then after a few yards it started missing again so i got it back to the shop to start all over again tomorrow. any help or yelling is aprecated..
thanks

You just have to accomplish the aforementioned testing. You should not swap parts without doing some diagnostics. Here is a link to the LP and OPS troubleshooting. This sounds like your OPS is not working, but dont just go replace it, easy to confirm.

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...t-Pumps-amp-OPS-operation-and-troubleshooting

That thread explains the whole fueling system, and you will have to get OBD1 specifics from the posts that are specific to the OBD1 trucks which are on the second page.

The OPS relay mod is important for a 94 or 95 truck, because the OPS fails annually without it. First run some tests, if you open the petcock, or the drain and got no fuel while the engine is running the LP is not running, so go check to see if it is even vibrating, and if it is you might have a clogged fuel sender sock. If the LP is not even vibrating while the engine is running check to see if there is power to the LP harness or just go check it on the OBD DLC like the troubleshooting thread explains.

starting fluid... It is a good way to see the inside of your engine sooner rather than later. Your glow plugs may need to be replaced now because of it.
Bending rods from starting fluid is known. Pic of a bent rod here: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...ete-total-destruction-tear-down-1995-Suburban

The best way to go is simply start over. Many guides on here for the lift pump and glow plug testing. If it will not start you need to fix the problem. Using starting fluid cheats and adds more problems.

The only time it is ok to use starting fluid is before you are going to replace the engine, have no use for the rods/turbo/heads/block/pistons/GP's out of it, and want to try and get it on the trailer.

Back