• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

hard starting 05 6.0

Joey D

Reaction score
My buddys truck is very hard to start lately. You need to crank it way to long. This has just started happening over the last 2 weeks he tells me.
It's an 05 F 350 6.0.

In a hard start situation, usually the problem is related to the High pressure oil pump(HPOP) system. Is it hard to start period? Or hard to start hot? Does your buddy have any blue smoke from the tailpipe? When was the last time he changed his oil?

Oil needs to be changed on the 6.0 METICULOUSLY at most every 5000 miles. Especially since the 6.0's HPOP system is a bit more sensitive to oil conditions and particulates. If your buddy plans on owning the truck for a long time, or just plain wants the keep the HPOP system in the best condition possible, tell him to invest in an FS-2500, made by Filtration solutions.

How many miles on the truck while I'm at it?

it's only hard to start in the am or after sitting for more than a few hours, once warm it starts normal. Oil is always done at 5k with Ford oil and filters. Fuel filters are done as scheduled as well.
I was reading about an oil additive that may clean out some deposits in HPO system possibly.
The mileage is around 75,000.

Sounds to me like the rail is losing its prime. Read this Technical Service Bulletin from Ford:

2005-07 F-SuperDuty/Excursion No-Start, High Pressure Oil System Leak:
Some trucks may develop an oil leak at the high pressure oil pump outlet fitting. This will cause a no-start condition as the computer needs to see at least 500 PSI before it will activate the injectors. In some cases the no-start will be intermittent and/or an intermittent stall with no codes will occur. If high pressure oil leak diagnosis indicates a leak at the pump, the pump outlet fitting (W301727) and the discharge tube block should be replaced with fitting and bracket kit 4C3Z-9B246-A. Do not torque the outlet fitting beyond 38 ft/lbs. If the leak is traced to the branch tube running through the engine block, replace with P/N 5C3Z9J332-B (requires removal of the transmission, flywheel and rear engine cover; new flywheel bolts required). TSB 06-14-6.
The following bulletin may be related:
Metal Tapping Noise from Rear of Engine:
Excursions built after 1-10-05 and 2005/06 F-SuperDuty may have a metal tapping noise from the rear of the engine on decel or light acceleration, or under loads when the high oil pressure is at higher levels. This may be due to a damaged/improperly fitting HP oil pump output quick connect fitting. To diagnose, you will need a scan tool with active command capability. Command the IRP duty cycle to 45% and listen at the high pressure oil pump cover with a stethescope as the engine speed is increased to 2800 RPM. If the noise is louder on the pump cover than on other parts of the engine, the pump cover will need to come off to inspect and replace the fitting. Broadcast Message 5511.

Unfortunately, because the 6.0's HPOP system is located in the back of the engine, the cab will need to be pulled for this repair. IT sounds like he hasn't gotten to this stage yet, but more than likely he is getting there. Eventually he may very well end up with a no start condition.

Sounds to me like the rail is losing its prime. Read this Technical Service Bulletin from Ford:

Unfortunately, because the 6.0's HPOP system is located in the back of the engine, the cab will need to be pulled for this repair. IT sounds like he hasn't gotten to this stage yet, but more than likely he is getting there. Eventually he may very well end up with a no start condition.

Funny you say that, yesterday, no start condition. Ended up with dead battery's charged them up and still no start. He is having it towed to the dealer:mad2:

Sorry to hear that :mad2: Is he having the dealer fix the issue or is he going to do it? I believe that, like the PMD warranty with GM, this is still covered under warranty and should be fixed by Ford.

I was reading about an oil additive that may clean out some deposits in HPO system possibly.

The stuff you are think about is called Hot Shot Secret diesel additive. Was in the Diesel Power mag this past month.

lubricationspecialties is their website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dealers says it's the HPOP. 100 dollar deductable aplies and we will see how long it takes them to do it. They were quick to diagnose it and seems to be a good shop as well. Bonnel Ford in Winchester

Glad they found it and it's covered.:thumbsup:
Guess I'm not surprised why there are so many of these 6.0s on the used market just out of warranty. That's some scary expensive fixit yourself stuff there. Hope they have much better luck with the 6.4 and now the 6.7.

Back