• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hard/no start when parked on a decline

Dylly

Reaction score
Just recently I moved into a Townhouse with an attached garage and the driveways in the crescent are on quite an incline... I've always backed my vehicles in where ever i park because its easier on the transmissions to go straight to drive insead of first through reverse (when they're cold) due to the pressures developed...

Anyway, anytime i back my truck up this incline it is either extremely hard to start or doesnt want to start at all, never had a problem when driving up the incline...

Any ideas what's going on?

If you were facing nose up, I would say it was the lift pump, but since you are nose down, I am not sure.

Todd

Do you have an inline filter? I have the same issue, so I just dont point the nose down. If I were you I would verify you get LP power during WTS, because its supposed to prime the system to prevent this. That power is sent to the LP through the LP relay.

maybe it has something to do with where the fuel pickup is in the tank

Do you have an inline filter? I have the same issue, so I just dont point the nose down. If I were you I would verify you get LP power during WTS, because its supposed to prime the system to prevent this. That power is sent to the LP through the LP relay.

maybe it has something to do with where the fuel pickup is in the tank

I dont have an inline fuel filter... Im not positive i have power during WTS but it fires for 1 second give-or-take and then nothing... i have my second lift pump accessory wired behind the Heath HO pump... as for the tank, it's was having problems even when full to the brim...

Have you pin pointed what was causing it in your case?

For mine I run the LP some and then it starts, but 94 and 95 trucks did not come with LP prime during WTS. Not sure if its a tank pickup or dirty sock thing that requires fuel to be at a certain level, and on a down incline it doesnt.

Put a pressure gauge on the water drain and see if you have pressure.

I suppose it is possible to siphon the fuel back into the tank from the filter manager - through the pump housing air bleed (j vent wire) and fuel return loop. (I am thinking DB2 not sure on DS4.) You may have a small (air) leak somewhere to allow this to happen. This is with the filter housing higher than the pump on the incline nose down.

You may need a lift pump prime override button.

Should just make sure the LP is running during WTS, as that should resolve the issue. Because if its not then it also isnt running during crank. If the LP is running during operation but not WTS then your LP relay is bad or a broken line somewhere.

Back