• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Had a little fun, now got a question~Language~

saturntech95

Reaction score
Well we were at my shop and decided to slap a couple of old tires and wheels on the back of my truck and finish them off. They were 33x9's.

[video=youtube;IZQq24zce4I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZQq24zce4I[/video]

That was the first one, did a couple more but didnt vidieo them, now here comes the question, in the last one I did I really held it for a long time and when I was done EGT was arround 900 so I was thinking not bad, trans arround 200 so again not bad, then I looked at the coolant temp.... 240ish :eek: so I quickly pulled it up to the hose and sprayed the radiator down a bit and it cooled right down to the 195 area. I let it idle there for a bit then shut her down. After that checked my coolant and I didnt seem to loose any and didnt see any leaking.
Soooooo should I be concerned at all??

Be afraid, be very afraid!

JK, The only thing that would experience a thermal shock would be the rad.

Not really worried about thermal shock I am more worried about headgaskets and meltdown. It runs fine tho.

And if you have rear drum brakes I would checked that they are not thrashed!!!!!

I plan on converting to rear disk soon so I really dont care about the drums.

I can barely see the plate but it looks like you're from the communist common wealth of mass.

Ouch!!! That looked painful on the drivetrain.

BTW I went to 230* or above about three times before my H/G s blew.

Yes communist hellhole of Mass.....
Painful on the drivetrain was last week at the truck pull and at the next pull in 2 weeks and all the dry pavement 4lo pull-offs I do with it. That is being nice on it compared to the last burnout when it really heated up. I was pegging the second gear rev limmiter on that one.
Well this is the first time I ever got it that hot but I also have head studs so I am hoping that will help the gaskets a good bit, did you have TTY bolts when it blew?

I wouldnt worry about your engine for that little time, but why did it get that hot? I guess doing that 3 times in a row got it hot, but that hot? You might consider using less antifreeze and more water. 50/50 is a suggestion, and its only needed in the winter. Since it never freezes here I just run about 10% antifreeze, water wetter and distilled water, antifreeze doesnt help cool anything, the water removes heat from the block. You might have clogged radiator veins or a bad fan clutch. My new clutch and DMax fan pulls a ton of air even at idle. Oil should also cool the block some, does your oil cooler get hot?

I wouldnt worry about your engine for that little time, but why did it get that hot? I guess doing that 3 times in a row got it hot, but that hot? You might consider using less antifreeze and more water. 50/50 is a suggestion, and its only needed in the winter. Since it never freezes here I just run about 10% antifreeze, water wetter and distilled water, antifreeze doesnt help cool anything, the water removes heat from the block. You might have clogged radiator veins or a bad fan clutch. My new clutch and DMax fan pulls a ton of air even at idle. Oil should also cool the block some, does your oil cooler get hot?

Ya I know I am running a little more coolant than I should have. I think the big problem was that I had a stupid grill insert that the previous owner had in there, th bareley felt the fan pulling any air through until I pulled that thing off now it will suck my shirt in at idle. I pulled my buddies 19' boat today without ever making the gauge flinch so I think that did the trick.I have been planning on adding Water Wetter since I built the motor, that stuff used to work amazing in my motocross bikes.

Get everything really hot and then quickly cool it down with a hose. :skep:

The poor pistons that don't get shock cooled get hugged real tight by the shock cooled block. Cooling the block contracts it and hot oil cooled pistons don't contract and clearences go by by!

When the new bad radiator cap let go on mine this shock cooling scuffed and cracked the #1 piston. I had 7000 miles before it burned through the crack.

Any new sudden increase in blowby?

Back