• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Guess what I'm doing tonight?

Well great guess's all,, and funny too. :rof: The answer is U-Pol Spray in Bed Liner Kit used as a rock chip guard on the
lower doors, fender, 1/4 panel and also the rocker panels + I went up on the inside of the rocker.

To make a protection from all these damn dirt roads I drive on. gravel = rock chips + Michigan winters and salted roads turns
rock chips in to rust chips, that lead to the cancer of our beloved trucks that well all despise. :mad2:

007.jpg
002.jpg
005.jpg

Also sprayed it on the snow plow mount, that still needs installed.

006.jpg

The kit I bought was $125 and came with 4 quarts of liner material, 1 qt of Hardner, and a shutz gun to spray it with.

I used half of the kit to do this job. So I got half left for another type job, We might us that on my Brothers cow catcher on the front of his Dmax.

Thanx for playing along :thumbsup:

Just let them know where it is. ;) Not much to do with anything engine specific. just trying to keep things organized. :thumbsup:

I hope you got better rock guard than what was used on my wife's truck when it got a paint job.,I wish i never done it.
Rust was poking trough within a year.
Now 3 yrs later there are big holes all along the bottom of fenders,over the wheels, the doors,cab and box where ever it was sprayed on.
An other bodyman i talked to said that rock guard retains moisture when it gets a chance to creep in and between and actually promotes rusting.
Por-15 would be a far better choice but should be used only on bare steel.

Anyway, that's my experience

Yeah,, I've done body work for over 20 years. I power washed the area,,let dry overnight. Then sanded the surface to be treated, with 180grit paper,, used a self etching primer on all the area's that cut thru to bare metal, then used the Raptor bed liner kit. It has a urethane hardener to promote the curing. It dries and sticks good. it remains flexible, and deflect damage with out chipping off.

Regular rock guard material that you spray on, is too brittle and over time can chip away, and that's where the water can seep in. I went back out today to button up the loosed ends, like rear wheel moldings and mud flaps, then Got under the rig, with a 3M Rust Proofing in a few rattle cans, this type leaves a waxy slimy oily, type of coverage, that will ward off salt/water and keep it from seeping into the cracks and crevice's that is where the rust usually starts. The burb is 17 already, and had NO winter weather. So If I can give it another 5 years on a non rusty looking body, then I've done my job. Nothing last forever especially in Michigan! We'll let you know how it does over time.

Spray 'er full of oil. Just don't brag about it.

It's a nasty mess for a while but the pinch welds will thank you.

the rockers, fenders and quarters are dripping as we speak! ;) The doors and tail gate are gonna get it next weekend. Pulling the interior trim panels, and letting it fly. Rear bumper is off to be power washed on the inside. It now has a layer of rust on the back side of the chrome. So I will be scrubbing and coating that with an Eastwood rust converter product, then I'll be brushing axle grease to the whole back side of the bumper.
On a side note,,,, I sure hope all you Ohioans do the right thing on Nov 6.

Back