• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

grounds on my 96

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
I've been having some trouble with the charging system on my truck. Whenever there is a large draw, ie starting the engine, it charges fine up around 15 volts on the gauge. After it has charged up the voltage starts to drop. It will get down to around 10 volts and then it will start to charge again. Been reading alot about grounds so I thought I'd clean mine and see if that helped. I cleaned everything I could find and took pics also so if I missed any please let me know. Oh also I already changed the alt didn't change anything.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 134
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 131
Do you know what the actual voltage at the batteries Is? Factory gauge isn't always reliable. My 95 does a similar thing. Voltage at the batteries stays at 14.4. The ground going to the instrament cluster may not be the best.

My factory gauge doesn't fluctuate like that, but it doesn't read true either. You definitely need to check the voltage with a real meter to know what's really going on.
The stock gauges are really just gauge-shaped idiot lights.):h

I haven't actually checked it at the battery but I do notice that my driving lights get brighter when it is charging.

What kind or part number of alternator did you put on? You should make sure you got the correct one for the diesel, because I think the voltage regulation is different on them.

You forgot the ground for the dash.

It is located on the ALDL/OBD II port bracket.....inside the truck of course...

Chris, that OBD2 ground, is that the same location for the OBD1 also? Got a fuel gauge that looks like a pinwheel some days...and the above mentioned voltage issue.

Chris, that OBD2 ground, is that the same location for the OBD1 also? Got a fuel gauge that looks like a pinwheel some days...and the above mentioned voltage issue.

Find the ground for your FSU. Its by the axle on some, never found mine yet. Different on different trucks. Supposed to fix that fuel guage problem. Mine does it too, and a new FSU did nothing for it.

there's 2 more , above the computer on the firewall, and one below the heater tubes from the firewall down to the frame.[sweet one to get at]

Back