• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Grinding noise in clutch

NickBarrFishing.com

Reaction score
When I let the clutch out in 2nd gear (starting gear since 1st is soo low) I get a small grinding "Clunching sound as I call it" sound? It does not do it in other gears. Is this normal?

Also, when I let my foot off the clutch into nuetral, the transmission makes a small whirring noise if I could explain it. Its not really loud at all.

Just wondering

-Nick

When i let out the clutch in neutral on my blazer i get the same "whirring" noise. I could never figure it out. I just figure it's engine vibrations due to the solid flywheel. Do you have a Solid flywheel or the dual mass flywheel?

dry throw out brg mebby.

Hope not. Throwout bearings new along with everything else(clutch, flywheel, pressure plate etc) when i put the trans in not 1,500 miles ago. The Throwout bearing turned very nicely and was pre-greased.

Meh it drives fine, back to the OPs problem.

our 98 does that, and sorry to say, but your tranny might be getting wore.

Here are our symptoms: It is quiet when clutch is in, but clutch out in neutral, it growls, and second is the noisiest gear, and it is kinda hard to do 1-2 upshifts.

Are you using the special fluid? (Gm, 20 bucks a quart, amsoil, about 10-12 a quart) I would say get some amsoil from one of our local vendors.

Good luck!

I get the whirling noise too. never found a cause. I figure it's the transmission turning over. you'll know when the syrcro's are going. It's a PITA to shift at all.

I get the whirling noise too. never found a cause. I figure it's the transmission turning over. you'll know when the syrcro's are going. It's a PITA to shift at all.

Ok. I'm not so worried about it. If it was a problem it would've blown by now i'd think.

if you think about, 3/4 of the gears are turning even in neutral. the shifter only slides rings over two gears and locks them together. the synco's help line them up. that and the top 1/3 of the one set is out in the 'open'(not sitting in oil).

Back