• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

gremlin in 94 grand am

bison

Reaction score
My doughter has a 94 grand am quad 4 sohc AT . its got a gremlin hiding somewhere i am unable to chase out.

here goes, started out with mil on and dtc 13 [no communicating with the OS ] changed OS , got other code,cant remember # but was for rich mixture] started using lots of gas, traced prob to bad ground wire. No mill or dtc set since.
Now the car starts good and quik when cold, but stalls after about 20 sec, will start right up again,[ often giving a puff of black smoke ] put it in gear ,drive 50-100 y it stalls again,starts right up again and either stalls again after few hundred yards or keeps going, if it decides to stay alive it will go forever with no hickups till shut off, leave it sit for an hour or so and the whole story repeats. It does this about 75% of the time, only when starting warm takes couple cranks longer.

I have changed: OS,TPS,CTS,MAP,Fuel vapor solenoid,FF,PLUGS, COILS,PCM.
I have tested: LP , fairly new,{ leaks back slowly}, fuel pressure at idle 38 psi, while driving 36 psi, with regulator vac disconnected 41 psi. with returnline blocked 60 psi. Fuel inj for leaking and spray pattern[ all good ]
Cleaned trottle body and idle valve[could not test that one]
Replaced the Cat and Resonator with a straight pipe.
i have checked all connectors and grounds

I had rebuild the engine around 35000 km ago

What the heck else could cause this start/stall

Back