• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Gremlin in 4x4

jbsaxman

Reaction score
I've got an electrical gremlin in my 4WD...bought a new actuator to 'fix' it, plugged it in without installing it and it didn't engage. Unless I did it wrong. I even started the truck and put it in 4WD, it did not engage.

Does anyone have a schematic of the 4WD electrical they can post for me?

Anyone? I at least need to know what wire does what so I can put in a manual switch to engage the front differential.

I have no idea where that is.

ETA: where is the switch at? on the transfer case itself?

Also, I traced the lines from the diff harness to a relay on the firewall. From there, I don't know what is what.

I should also mention that the 4x4 lights have never worked as long as I've owned the truck. Not sure how relevant it is.

Do you have push button 4 wheel drive on the dash? If so that is the switch I am talking about. I've had to replace 4 of them. The switch has 3 or 4 buttons. 2 Hi, 4 hi, 4 low & possibly auto.

I should also mention that the 4x4 lights have never worked as long as I've owned the truck. Not sure how relevant it is.

For what its worth, when I pull my lever back into 4x4, I need to slow down to a near stop before I can hear and feel my 4x4 engange. I hear a few slow teeth movement then clunk, it enganges.

THEN, and ONLY THEN, do my 4x4 lights come on.

Well, after rolling around in the snow underneath my rig for a while I found where a butt splice was pulled out. I'm getting it put back together, but wiring it to a switch rather than the xfer case. That should work. I threw a multimeter on it and only got power when it was in 4x4. I just got the hard part done underneath the truck. I just need to fish the wires up into the truck and connect them to the switch I bought.

Good news. I now have 4WD, with a switch activated diff locker. Works like a champ.

Back