• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Great weekend and now hail damage...

Skylark

Reaction score
I worked at a Boy Scout camp for six seasons as the shooting sports director. My dad decided to semi retire earlier this year and I talked him into working at my old camp. I made a phone call and he had a job as the outpost director. He had only been there twice in all of the time that I worked there. So this last weekend we put 653 miles on the dually having a ton of fun. We towed seven canoes and had a bed full of various stuff that we hauled up to the camp on friday (I took the day off). We went to the High Desert Museum in Bend, Seventh MT reesort in Bend and Smith Rock (Oregon's premier rock climbing) in Terrabone. We met up with some of my old buddies from back in the day and had dinner with them. On Saturday we did all of the stuff local to camp, Marsh Creek kayak trip (the marsh is a beautiful sight!), Windigo Pass and Cowhorn MT (part of the Pacific Crest Trail), Fawn Lake and we attempted Diamond Peak. We didn't make it due to snow and a huge washout but we did get to get dirty and the truck into 4x4. My buddy James is the Camp Ranger and he made some awesome food for us while we were there :) We left at 5:30 sunday morning to go to Klamath Falls and pick up my Grandma and Aunt from the train. We managed 18.3 mpg out of our 7300#, 4.10 geared, 4x4, dually.

Fast forward to today. I drove the truck to work, something I never do and we had the biggest hail storm I've seen. We had marble size hail that damaged the hood, roof, and every panel on the left side of the truck. The windshield also has 6-7 chips on the left side. The good news is that our deductible is only $100.

Get some dry ice in a cooler, park the truck in the sun until it's hot on the surface, put a chip of dry ice on each dent and it should pop back out.
Or get the 'paintless' guy on your schedule.

Bummer on the hail damage. In the two years I spent living there in Grants Pass I don't think we had any hail storms, don't remember any.

Where's this Boy Scout camp at? The only one I know of is Camp Pioneer snuggled up to the west side of Mt Jefferson Wilderness, along Hy 22, between Marion Forks and the Santiam Y junction with Hy20.

It's been several years since I've been to the High Desert Museum. I really enjoy that place and can easily spend hours there just enjoying it. Have you ever checked out the Lava Tube Cave, or the Lava Cast Forest, or the lava flow at the top of McKenzie Pass?

Don

Hail storms are fairly rare around here. I was floored when I saw the windshield, then I started looking at the body. I have been to Camp Pioneer. This one is Camp Makualla on Crescent Lake. Never have been to the lava flow at McKenzie but I have been to the Lava Beds and Capt. Jacks stronghold in Tulelake, CA.

Back