• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Greasing balljoints: should you jack up the vehicle and unload the suspension?

schiker

Reaction score
I read something recently that suggested it is best practice to jack up a vehicle by the frame to unload suspension to grease the ball joints.

It makes sense as sometimes I lift my bushhog to grease the tailwheel kicking it to rotate it as the lincoln pumps grease around the "pin".

But then I thought if a ball joint separates appreciably lifting the vehicle then the ball joint is probably bad.

What are your thoughts? Probably doesn't matter but hey I might learn something.

By unloading the chassis joints you insure the highest load points will receive lube and then it will quickly work into the unloaded area when reloaded. In the case of steering joints, the same can be accomplished by turning the wheels back and forth while unloaded.

Also when jacking it up and turning the wheels helps you find a stubborn joint if it is trying to lock up. that happened to me. I couldn't feel anything out of the ordinary driving my truck, but one day I decided to do some maintenance, greasing everything. I jacked it up and when I tried to turn the wheel it was unusually stiff. tracked it down to a bad lower ball joint galding up

I have one lower joint on my dodge right now that isn't wanting to take grease, sat too long parked under the pecan tree I suppose. pressured it up with the grease gun, took a little screw driver and poked the tiny ball in the center of the grease zerk and grease shot back out of it. I pumped it back up and worked it. pumped some more. hoping that it begins to break up some of that old dry grease I plan to attempt to try pumping more grease into it tonight. hope I can save it and not have to tear into it replacing one ball joint! truck hasn't been driven but maybe 4k miles since I bought my chevy a little over two years ago.

Just went out to try and grease that one joint, turned the wheel all the way to one side, started pumping .... felt something give a little and I had grease oosing out the rubber boot on the other side! yay lol it will live to see another day! :)

Back