• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Grease on Headliner

You would be amazed what Turtle Wax interior cleaner (the one with a yellow plastic brush applicator on the end) can do. Stay away from straight solvents...they may damage the foam backer of the headliner. If you cannot find Turtle wax, then try a light solution of Dawn and water in a plastic spray bottle. It too will work, but depending on the age/volume of the grease on the stain...it may take time.

Dentpusha,
I had thought of the W-D 40 but was worried about the foam backer like Diesel Dually stated.

DD,
I think I will try the dawn/water thing first and if that doesn't work, go from there.
I think I got the grease on there about a week ago while I was replacing the Pitman Arm, Idler Arm and wheel bearing about 2 weeks ago, just hadnt driven the truck since then and noticed it this morning on the way to work.

Its only three finger prints above the door, not sure where my other finger was??:hand:

thanks for the tips

Good luck...remember not to scrub too much too...you will rub the nap off the liner. You may want to score a soft bristle brush for that.

When I was a kid I worked at a car dealership. I once used mineral spirits to get the grease prints that one of the mechanics got on a door. I soaked a white rag and just barely brushed it across a few times and it was gone. I was pretty surprised, I just looked in the cabinet and tried to find something that looked like it might work.

Jay...we are concerned that any distilate will damage the foam backer.
I think mineral spirits is not very "caustic" and when I did do it I just barely touched it, so I was really getting through to the backing. I can def being extra careful when you own the vehicle though!lol

update

Ok, finally got some spare time to jump in to the grease.

the fist pic is the before.
I used about 2 drops of Dawn dish soap with about a quarter cup of water in a spray bottle and a clean terry cloth wash rag. I aint tellin the wife.. :smash:

the second pic was taken about 2 minutes later.

the third pic was another little spot that I got on the headliner when I put in the long over head console from a 2001 Tahoe, any way, it came off too :D

Attachments

• 1 greasy finger prints.jpg
    1 greasy finger prints.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 2 greasy finger prints gone after dawn.jpg
    2 greasy finger prints gone after dawn.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 5
Oh, I forgot to add, the after pics are still a little wet from the Dawn / Water solution, so if there is any sign left after it dries, I will post up pics of that.

I hope I don't have to post any more pics about this tho:cool:

Back