• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Granny gear or no granny gear

Godsmack

Reaction score
I have a 93 k3500 with 5 speed manual I am told the first gear is a granny gear and thats because the gear ratio is low is this true and do i need to use on take off or can use second?:mad2:

how do you drive it now? I drive 9 speeds like 4 speeds empty, what ever works for you should be fine IMO

I drive it starting in second and it takes off better then if i use first i enjoy driving the truck using the first gear but sometimes its just a pain in the ass to use

your fine, as long as it aint 'luggin, no worrys. ive never drove a manual 6.5, but still seems fine to me

1st is a pretty low granny gear just for starting off with HEAVY loads. I believe the 93 NV4500 used the 6.31 1st gear which is REALLY low.

I have a truck similar to yours and I never use 1st/granny gear. I always start off in second. You will be fine it will not hurt anything.:thumbsup:

I almost never use low gear. daily drivng i always just start in 2nd but there is alot of turbo lag untill it gets to like 2k rpm and then it starts to build. im not sure if ti is the same with an auto truck but its kind of annoying

I always use 1st, but I like to launch at idle, usually dont revv up the engine to launch. stock oil cooler line paranoya, I guess.

but to the OP, yes you do have the deeper 1st gear, and all 1st gears in NV4500s are marketed as granny gears, not nearly as low as I would like them, but low for modern rigs.

Empty 2nd should be fine, 1st should be reserved for big loads.

I start our 65 C60 out in 2nd Hi empty, 2nd Lo fairly loaded, and 1st lo is only reserved for driving in deep mud with a full bed of grain, which that truck doesn't see anymore. ;)

i start out in second on mine all the time and it works great.

i think it has plenty of power once the clutch is all the way out and THEN stomping on it.

seems fine.

Yep, mostly 2nd gear launch for me too no added fuel. Slow release of clutch then roll into fuel. I use 1st for parking lot, slow manuevering, and heavy load/towing. I have the higher 1st gear and will use it for launching uphill sometimes. Basically, I only use 1st if I feel it bog down/lug taking off in 2nd or if I have to add fuel to launch.

I only use 1st or compound gear if I'm pulling
someone out or if I'm in 4 low and climbing in slow motion cause if you have this gear in your transmission you know the speedometer won't even start to read

Back