• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GR Starter Questions

Koots

Don't Mind Me
Reaction score
I recently replaced the original DD starter on my truck (i know it's the original because i can tell it's the same starter that broke the block). The new GR starter can spin the motor over but it seems that it doesn't have the same speed as the old DD starter did even with a bigger battery to starter cable.

Is this normal? it doesn't slow down when cold like the DD starter did but it doesn't spin the engine nearly as fast as the DD could when warm, so i end up having to use a short burst of glowplugs for it to catch even though it's warmer out than before.

Otherwise i have no issues, i just have concerns whether it's a GR starter trait or a sign of something else.

It can still crank the engine over though, even not plugged in overnight in below freezing temperatures, which would kill the batteries trying to spin the DD starter (which would spin as slow as molasses). So i'm not complaining LOL The past winter was hell on me as everyday, i was unaware whether the truck would start or not.

I hit the same experiences as you. I found the GR starter would spin it over but not always fast enough. it's better in the winter due to the lower power consumption but still a bear. Your DD was the original or just the original style? welcome to the debate of which one works better?.

Seeing as how i went through hell with the DD starter this winter (imagine having to get a boost weekly with fairly new batteries and cables, alternator, etc.) then being given a battery charger/booster for christmas from my parents LOL

So far the cold weather ability of mine is a big plus.

LOL. YA the DD can suck back a fair bit of juice. I found the stock battery size was nowhere near big enough for it. I got tired of the dead batteries along with the overheated cables on mine. and yes more than on set of batteries bit the dust. I cheated though, 2 Group 31 batteries shoehorned in and 2/0 cable. Now below freezing is a walk in the park.:hihi:

EDIT: Did you do the bolt mod? Did you change the positive cable joining the 2 batteries? the bolt mod is a nice touch.
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?t=540

From what I've heard a Powermaster starter[$330] is the best out there for the 6.2 and 6.5s. I've never had warm or hot start problems with the oe gr starters. 2-0 custom battery cables with cast copper ends make all the difference in the world. Site vendor PTwiring solutions sells a very nice set for the 88-98 trucks and can make anything you want.

I need to replace the ground cables, so i will check PTwiring out :D

The starter currently in the vehicle is an ACDelco unit, the GR starter i bought before it was a Bosch SR577X unit and the stock one was a DD and appears to have been on the vehicle since the early 90's, PO told me he bought the truck cuz it had a busted starter and block and repaired it and used the old starter. I can still see a common mark from the starter busting off the block on the old DD starter. So i'm guessing it's original just rebuilt probably.

Neither starter could start the engine or even spin it over very well, so this ACDelco starter is the best so far. Maybe it was just the sound of the DD starter that made it sound faster LOL

My cables are all making clean contact, as i've been trying my hardest to make this thing run perfectly without spending too much money (still about $5000 extra into this truck now though LOL). The ground cables are the oldest and smallest cables on the truck now, so it might be time to go and fix that. I'm gonna run by the truck parts store and pick up some cable ends. I still have a few feet of welding cable left over for more cables and a big body ground strap from a 2500HD i am gonna install on the truck too.

Back