• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Got our New Fendt

Yeah, those front tires are squatting a bit! I'm assuming the front end setup is designed for other front attachments as well?

Yes the front 3pt can be used for many attachments. a front PTO could be added as well for applications requiring it.

I see a some axle protruding on the rear, would you ever need duals?

No we will not but the salesman orders them that way incase people want duals instead of the large floaters. We originally were going to do duals due to ice in the winter but decided that these floaters would be nicer 95% of the time and we will be sticking with them.

Yes it would be but we would have to add a subframe to it to stiffen it up. I'm looking into it for snow removal this winter. Want something comfy and big.

Had it on the grain cart today. Running great. Less than two weeks put over 100hrs on it already.

I bet everybody on the farm has been itching to get into it, too. That's always how it goes with new equipment.

Looking at another Fendt now. Our DT200 isn't meeting our needs and dad wanted to replace it with an 8900 series magnum for simplicity and reliability. However I've hopefully talked him back into the Fendt idea because 8900 series Magnums are now worth more than they were brand new and yet they are still a 20 year old tractor. Don't get me wrong, I love ours, but the Fendt is much more efficient, faster, and overall a better choice in the longrun. Looking at a couple used 820 Fendts (older style) and a couple used 819 Fendts (new style)

Had the Fendt and tanker both cleaned up for some service so I decided to try out the Opti-Coat on the Fendt to see how well it holds up. The paint is in pretty good shape but had enough scratches and such. . Apparently Fendt does not skimp on their paint either, they use a clear coat which is unheard of with other brands. I wasn't quite sure if they did until I fubared the paint removing a sticker with an eraser wheel (never should've on fiberglass). So I got to wet sand out that mess and the whole time it was obviously clear coat material.

It was already pressure washed so I just washed it with Ultima waterless wash and then clayed it.

I polished the paint using Menzerna FG400 with my Flex PE14 rotary on an orange CCS pad. (I like German stuff) Worked very well, I initially tried using PF2500 on my 3401 Flex but the clear is apparently very hard and that didn't even make a dent in anything.

Then stripped it with Menzerna Top Inspection and started applying the Opti-Coat. The side panels can be removed which helps a lot and I also remove the badges to make life easier. They are fastened on with clips versus glue/tape. The Fendt IFS allows you to deflate it so it can kneel to you for easier access as well. After the first panel's trial I learned quickly how much was too much or not enough and it went fairly smooth afterwards, but it sure does take a lot of time, patience and attention to detail. Didn't have time to do the cab and fenders as usual, but plan to in the future. I also appliced OC to the badges and the hood ornament.

For those who don't know, Opti Coat is a permanent Polymer paint coating. The only way to remove it is to physically abrade it off by polishing with compounds. It is very tricky to apply though, extremely small amounts of it are used. I used about 5cc total on everything I did. The 20cc syringe is said to have enough for 3 cars. You apply it sparingly and then wait a minute or so for it to self level and then flash and then level out the high spots. If you don't deal with the high spots you they will look bad and need to be polished out. Having some nice bright white light is the best way to see them, if you just look at the paint you will not see anything as its clear, when it flashes it has a rainbow like color.

Before

after pressure washing.

My Fubar, wet sanding.

After FG400

In the right light you can still see the blemishs somewhat but this part of the tractor is usually hidden and not in direct light anyways.

After opti-coat

Cleaned up the inside too with some 1Z cockpit. Don't have a before picture though.

Anybody have any good tips on cleaning touch screens? I use sprayway glass cleaner which meets the criteria of what Fendt wants you to clean it with but the issue I am having seems to actually be peoples fingers abrading the matte finish away. Where people touch most often it is very shiny and the sun glares off of it at times. I'd like to put a screen protector for a tablet on it but I want to address this issue first if possible. I'm thinking there isn't a way to restore the matte finish though.

For screens and film I was told to use soft cloth warm water and a drop of dish soap. This was from a guy that installed film on windows. Apply just a drop of soap to a damp cloth and wipe then fresh damp cloth to get the soap off. I don't know of anything for restoring the satin matte finish.

I like a clean tractor can't understand spending that much money on something and not taking care of it.

FYI I tried some marine non skid deck cleaner on my tractor and liked it. It has a strong foaming chelating action and leaves a non slick polymer coating that helps repel some dust and dirt.

I Thinking it isn't fixable. Fendt does list a protective film in the parts catalog. Hopefully this one has it on and I just have to remove it.

Opti Coat is working great. Washed it today and the road grime came off effortlessly on the coated panels and the water sheeted off leaving minimal beading behind and no sheet of ice like the uncoated panels that did not shed the water as easily.

Here's a beading picture.

Did have a minor issue with it today. DEF didn't thaw out fully. I don't know if something is broken, or if I let it idle too long and the coolant temp didn't get up fast enough. The EPA only allows 30 minutes of run time before the DEF needs to be thawed and injecting. The tractor threw a general fault code for the SCR system and de rated me. I don't think this frozen chunk is the issue, it sure looks different than any other frozen DEF I have seen, and there was enough liquid by the suction line that it should've been fine. I'll see tomorrow after it thaws, then I'll leave it in the cold again to test it. Goes in for its first oil change next week anyways. Already at 500hrs.

Back running on the tanker again now, didn't get a chance to ask them what was wrong with the DEF but they had it fixed fast. They also turned on my strobe lights since I wired them into the factory beacon wiring, but the tractor did not come from teh factory with beacons, thus the CAN system doesn't know they are there and wont send any power until you go in and activate them. I don't have a video of them yet, but they are bright. Also took off the crappy tape they put on and replaced it with some good C2 tape.

Back