• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Got my pc back

MD Welding

Reaction score
2 weeks ago some little geek had his way with my pc via youtube! 620.00later and it,s better!

I never really new how much I relied in it until it's gone. Luckily all my data was recovered.

i can do data recovery on windows based PCs also (next time of if someone else ever comes into that situation)
as long as it is not a head crash i can pretty much bring everything back, just takes along time.

and "professional" recovery companies will cost an arm and a leg, that is for sure - does not surprise me.

and BTW - a PC that could have been "attacked" via youtube must have not been very well protected and vulnerable, so hopefully you also caught up on those topics.... not just backing up.

I have a lot of data I need for work. It would be real bad to lose it.

I did learn about backing it up!

Hello Mike,

If your data is more valuable than your hardware, then, backing up your data is a MUST but you can simplify the process somewhat, but also prepare you for worst-case scenarios.

You can simplify your backups by creating a "separate" partition on your hard drive and storing your live data on that partition ("separate" as in separate from your OS, programs/applications). You, then, have several options of copying the live data from the separate partition onto, say, a rewritable CD/DVD, flash drive/memory stick, on-line backup, another computer, etc.

OR... You could create more than one "separate" partitions on your hard drive, store your live data on one partition, copy the live data onto the other partition for a readily-accessible backup copy, and continue to copy the live data onto CD/DVD, memory stick, etc.

By having a copy of your data OFF the computer, your are, then, prepared to address the worst-case scenario of a catastrophic hardware crash (e.g., hard drive hardware crash). Simply bring another PC into the picture, partition the hard drive accordingly, install the OS, programs/applications, then copy the data back onto the replacement computer.

If performance becomes an issue because the single hard drive has been partitioned, simply install separate hard drives for each partition needed.

If your data is that mission-critical, you should store the backup copies off-site (in case of a "disaster" like a fire, water pipe leak/damage, etc.). After spending several years in IT disaster recovery (I was involved in data recovery for banks affected by the first WTC bombing -- one customer did not return to the data center in the WTC until six weeks after), I have seen it come true about "an ounce of prevention..."

Regards,
Franko

Back