• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Got my fuel filter changed today...

BoostN

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've still found the easiest way it to remove half of the fender liner to get it off and on. No leaks so far..

Anybody else remove the liner to get theirs off?

I do it from the top also. I did mine a while back and took step by step pics. I planned to do a how-to on here but never got to it...Maybe ill do that later on tonight

I guess yall are using a Pivoting wrench?? I had a set of straight filter plyers. I couldn't it get from the top like that. And the filter was tight! I didn't change it last time.

I'm fixing to order the Dmaxwrenchkit from Dale. That WIF sensor is a pain to get of with just a set of channel locks.

I pull the top 2 clips from the inner fender and then fold it down. It is by far the easiest way to do it. ( as long as you have to tools to pull the clips out)
And yes, the WIF sensor can be a pain without the wrench to unscrew it from the filter.

****Remember, reinstall the WIF sensor by hand only. Overtightening the sensor can damage the threads on the sensor.:beer:

I pull the top 2 clips from the inner fender and then fold it down. It is by far the easiest way to do it. ( as long as you have to tools to pull the clips out)
And yes, the WIF sensor can be a pain without the wrench to unscrew it from the filter.

****Remember, reinstall the WIF sensor by hand only. Overtightening the sensor can damage the threads on the sensor.:beer:
That reminds me, one of the wires is broken off my WIF sensor. Where is the best (cheapest) place to get a new one?

I do my fuel filter by pulling the fender well also. Its way easier to get to everything. I ALWAYS hand tighten my WIF sensor and filter itself. There is no need to crank that thing on there. I also put a thin layer of grease on the o-rings and the center plug for easy sealing and easy removal. I have never had an issue with filter changes or leaks;)

I did hand tighten my WIF, but I gave it a extra grasp with the channel locks to just make sure it's there. Works ok so far, but I need to stop doing that I guess. I know replacing parts isn't cheap!

I just used a flat screw driver to pop the rivets, I didn't break one actually. But I did stop by the dealer and pick up a few just in case. $.99 each, what a rip off..

I do it from up top. Seems pretty easy to me. You can buy those clips at the auto parts store pretty cheap.

I guess yall are using a Pivoting wrench?? I had a set of straight filter plyers. I couldn't it get from the top like that. And the filter was tight! I didn't change it last time.

I'm fixing to order the Dmaxwrenchkit from Dale. That WIF sensor is a pain to get of with just a set of channel locks.
Yeah, I do mine with the pivoting handle filter wrench from the top. I also did the AC line 'tweak' for a bit more room. Only a few minutes job.
I bought a Snap-On WIF sensor socket (plastic) that works pretty good but if I had to do it again, I'd buy the metal wrench from Eric or whoever.

I do mine from the top. I have an old band style oil filter wrench that I use to break the filter loose 2 short twists and I can spin it free by hand from there. and I have an WIF wrench someone got me for christmas. I think they got it off E bay pretty cheap.

hey... your in the wrong section... go back to the LB7 area... you go.. you go now lol

Do mine by the top and only tighten and loosen by hand. When my dad got his Duramax I HAD to take the fender liner off to loosen it. Somebody really cranked it on!

I use a strap on. I mean strap wrench to break them loose. Then put myself in a really akward position and remove it.

But now with the lift, and the special 7/8" 140lb-ft torque stick and body clip removal tools :)D) im thinking it might be easier/quicker/less messy to remove the wheel and fender liner and get er from the rear.

I use a strap on. I mean strap wrench to break them loose. Then put myself in a really akward position and remove it.

But now with the lift, and the special 7/8" 140lb-ft torque stick and body clip removal tools :)D) im thinking it might be easier/quicker/less messy to remove the wheel and fender liner and get er from the rear.
Vinny, this is a disturbing post:D

But you already knew that...;)

Back