• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Got Another 1995 6.5 Diesel ($700.00) Needs Some Work...

DZZ71

"Living The 6.5 Dream"
Reaction score
I picked up another truck today i couldent turn down. It has 395,000km and the owner claims it olny has a blown head gasket. I dont know if thats olny the problem. The guy dident even know what the alternator looked like.... Anyways the oil is way over filled and he said when he parked it the truck was running but blowing white smoke so im not sure. I plan on pulling the engine on next days off.
newtruck003.jpg
newtruck011.jpg
newtruck005.jpg

I can see where your coming from when you say find out what's wrong first. Asuming the block isent cracked or somthing it's gonna need bearings regardless due to the high km on it. Even if the heads are f***ed I have another set to put on her:)

Nice rig for $700.
Be careful. Next thing you know your sig will look like mine.

Got the engine out and apart, was definatly a head gasket that went. We found out it had been rebuilt before the bearings are different sizes then stock and there wasent as much wear as there should be for having 400,000km. I also think it has had new heads during that over haul. I dident find any cracks and the paint is in pretty good condition as well. I plan to have it together and running next days off. Good old 929 block, i hope it doesent do the same thing to me as it did to Chris haha
new65pics003.jpg
newer025.jpg
new65pics002.jpg

Haha sorry man I have been looking for a set since I got my first 6.5, my dad had a 1998 half tun chevy 6.5 Z71 with the Deezee running boards. Ever since then I have wanted a set. Hence how I got my user name DZZ71 from the deezee running boards....

I wonder if I should worry about these cracks

de03fada.jpg

Yes you should!

They can progress to the point where the main web comes completely adrift from the block. Lots of pics on this board of that very failure.

It appears they start at the outer main cap bolt holes. They may be repairable with what's known as a "lock N stitch" insert. Supposedly, they make the block even stronger than when new.

Missy goodwrench has experience with this.

Personally, before sinking any real money into the block in machining or parts, I would have the entire block magnafluxed for additional cracks in the webs, decks and cylinders.

If the cracks had been at the cap registers (the step where the main caps butt up) it would be a gonner....

*Edit*

On second look, it appears the lower crack int he picture has gone all the way though the main web. The block may not be repairable....

Last edited:
How long do you guys figure it would last using it as is? I don't want to sink much Money into it I just plan on driving it pretty much stock. My focus is on my 141 that has no cracks. The 506 I have in there now has a blow head gasket as of 4 days ago as well I could aways toss it back in when this 929 craders...... Any opinions?

How long do you guys figure it would last using it as is? I don't want to sink much Money into it I just plan on driving it pretty much stock. My focus is on my 141 that has no cracks. The 506 I have in there now has a blow head gasket as of 4 days ago as well I could aways toss it back in when this 929 craders...... Any opinions?

Good question! Slap it back together and let us know! :hihi:

Lol well Its goin back together regardless haha. I could have had it together this days off but I decided to clean everyting instead. Gonna have it going in 11 days. If it lasts the winter I will be happy :)

Back