• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Got a 93 K3500...What to do with it ?

What to do with this truck...

• Cut it up for parts

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Fix it and sell it

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Fix it and keep it

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Voluntary commitment to a mental institution for diesel addicts

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
Shoot..20mpg I'd be doin the happy dance. OK so I got the 93 running. The starter was fine. The batts were so dead it would not even engage and a few wires were laying on the turbo and fried causing a dead short. Once it started it was shaking and blowing nasty grey raw fuel smoke. It ran so bad I can't believe he tried to drive it. I started to crack inj lines and wasn't making a difference. Then I though wait let me check the IP timing. He must have bumped the pump while installing the throttle linkage or something cause it was so far outta time I cannot believe it even ran. I moved it almost a 1/2 inch. The truck started right up with a half a revolution and was purring like a happy kitten.....Well...it can never be that easy for me...(see video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm67Cmo6F6U

that's a lot of bubbles in that overflow tank.

I'm betting blown gasket or bad head. It sounds smooth so it could just be a hairline crack in a headgasket allowing combustion pressure to enter the cooling system.

How fast does the cooling system build up pressure? The last one with blown gaskets i worked on the upper rad hose was rock hard in about 30 seconds. By the 10 second mark there was pressure to the point where loosening the rad cap on the surge tank(94 model) would let out a loud hiss.

someone find matt some doors. thou shalt not killeth a clean five speed truck! :) Matt, what color scheme and interior panel scheme are you looking for? preferred mirror style?

The pressure is just about instant. As soon as she starts there is bubbly....I did notice some puffs of blueish smoke when I was napping the throttle but the compression leak could be the reason. IDK. I am torn with this truck. It would make an awesome parts donor on the other hand it seems too nice a truck to cut up. If I kept it I would probably have to sell the CUCV which aint sitting too good with me. Other than some dents the body is in exceptionally good condition. Frame and cab are clean. If i was an xtra cab it would be a no brainer.

it does sound like a tough call kenny.

I'd keep the CUCV over the 93. Solid axle lifted truck(especially one witha D60 under it) is stronger than the IFS lifted setup IMO.

If you turbo the CUCV and stuff the NV4500 in it you basically have the same thing as the 93, minus the SFA and plus 2 inches of lift and the IFS. It'd still be a RCLB lifter 6.x diesel/turbo diesel with a 5-spd. Lot of work for not so much gain IMO.

If the 93's engine is fixable(not a cracked block) it may be worth it to put the engine under the knife do studs and gaskets and run it. If the engine ends up having fatal cracks then I'd say full speed ahead on the CUCV NV4500 swap.

Drop an engine in it already and sell it to pay for parts... I bet you would double your investment by doing that...

Drop an engine in it already and sell it to pay for parts... I bet you would double your investment by doing that...

I think all it needs it a head gasket. Even if it needs a head, I have a spare one. If the block is cracked and the heads are good the heads will go on my CUCV.

OK, took it for a quick spin around the block. The truck has loads of power even with the bad HG. Really didn't smoke bad either. The tranny felt funky. It would grind if I treid to shift to fast but the clutch feels low. It's grabbing very low. How do you adjust the clutch in this thing ?

If it's hydraulic odds are you don't adjust it. Not 100% sure on the NV4500 though. My K-5s setup has no adjustments at all.

Well, I think I will pull the heads this weekend and fix the engine. I still have not made a final decision on the truck but fixing the motor in the meantime is win win. either I'll have a good truck or a good spare motor. I'm gonna stud the heads. The motor "supposedly" had 100k. Other than the HG It seems like it's accurate. It runs sweet.

Back