• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Gooseneck hitches Boss vs B&W

Z79outlaw

Its tougher in Wisconsin
Reaction score
Well I need to add a gooseneck to my truck its getting old using my uncles f-250 everytime I need a trailer and having somthing break on that truck, especially since its not my truck and I have a truck pertfectly capable of pulling a load, I was researching B&W's and trying to find a place that could offer me the best price and found people were using BOSS hitches? First time I've ever heard of them but they seem to be about $100 less than B&W's, They both seem to be the exact same basic design that I like about the B&W's at a better price.

http://www.bosshitch.com/

I do have 1 other concern, my GMC is a short bed and I'd like to be able to ad if need be the 4" extender hitch, because our gooseneck trailer has a flat deck and I dont know whether or not I'll be able to make tight turns with the trailer, anyone know if B&W accesories are compatible with the BOSS unit?

My other brake controller is a older draw-tite unit that is in my 6.5, I was thinking of taking that and putting it in my truck, or should I just go and buy a new Prodigy controller?

I would go B&W you get what you pay for. The prodigy is badass, but they offer a newer one that is the badass of badasses. Not sure on the name though.

Nick, what price did you get quoted on the BOSS hitch. I got my B&W delivered for $340. Locally the guy wanted $450 just for the hitch and I found some online for as much as $500. I bought mine from a guy that advertises on EBay. If you buy it off his site it's ten dollars less on shipping. $330. He was quick on shipping, got it in 2 days.

http://stores.got-chrome.com/

Nick, what price did you get quoted on the BOSS hitch. I got my B&W delivered for $340. Locally the guy wanted $450 just for the hitch and I found some online for as much as $500. I bought mine from a guy that advertises on EBay. If you buy it off his site it's ten dollars less on shipping. $330. He was quick on shipping, got it in 2 days.

http://stores.got-chrome.com/

I've found them on ebay for $340 or so shipped as well, but have found the BOSS's for $220 shipped. I think I'll go with the prodigy also all the trucks at work have them and I'm used to them, and I guess its kinda cheesy to mount a 15 year old brake controller in a essentially new truck):h

Well I was able to find out today that the BOSS hitch is not for me, as it is not a turnove ball, the ball goes in 1 way and does not flip over and leave it flush, you can seperately purchase a plastic plug to cover up the hole, but that seems awfully tacky to me, and I've been told that the ball only fits about 1/2 an inch or so into the goosneck hitch reciever, may not be a big deal, but for an $100 and the piece of mind that comes with a B&W I think I'll just order that next week after I get paid. I did go ahead and order a Prodigy today though hopefully install it this weekend.

Does anyone have any pics of the location of there brake controller in there truck? Im tossing around different locations to mount it and havent come up with anything for sure yet.

Check the thread I started on the B & W hitch in the General towing section. I will buy from an AMerican business man who treats his employees right!

Ours is mounted over the gas pedal, and if I get on it, I whack my shin. Don't mount it there, lol. I'm 6'6", so it may not be an issue for shorter people.

Got my B&W installed this weekend, shitty instructions IMO but Sunday I think I got it done in hour maybe a little after disassembling the whole thing. Granted that was after spending 4-5 hours on it on Saturday, I spent alot of time trying to figure out why the hell the back crossmember wasnt long enough to bolt the side plates too it, until I realized it was intentionally like that, because it was meant to be tapered :mad2: been nice if they said that in the instructions but otherwise I'm really please with it.

Back