• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Good price?

DTM

Reaction score
So i have a friend who is kicking the tires on putting a 6.5 in his square body chevy. He asked me to do some looking into doing the swap and what not. So today while i was one Facebook marketplace i ran across a guy selling a 599 short block that needs rebuild for 100 and a 929 long block that needs rebuild for 200. I have not seen them so i don't know the condition of the motors. My question is if they are good to rebuild are they worth that much.

6.5 prices go from free to thousands, depending where you find it.
I see no advantage in the older 599, 929 blocks other than if you verified no issues.

Spend a ton of time here reading the stickies to learn all the details different in 6.5 vs other engines.

Ok thanks guys. That's what I kinda figured but thought id ask those who know more about them.

I have another question for yall. Have any of you or anyone you know used calibrated power solutions also known as duramax tuner for tunes.

Last edited:
Welcome to the truck stop DTM.
I dont think those types of plug and play tuners does a thing for the 6.5 engines. AFAIK the ECM has to be shipped off and then a specific tune for the driving conditions forced into them.

I too think if I was going to do a diesel conversion into a SB Chevy, and a suitable 6.5 is not available, then, it would be with a Cummins 12 valve. A friend over here with a truck repair shop has His one ton dually converted to a 12 valve and it is a mighty fine rig.
The SB would need a heavy duty front suspension and axle system to support the extra weight though.

Welcome to the truck stop DTM.
I dont think those types of plug and play tuners does a thing for the 6.5 engines. AFAIK the ECM has to be shipped off and then a specific tune for the driving conditions forced into them.
Sorry i should have been a little more clear. I mean for the newer trucks that have dpf systems. I have a 2015 f250 with the 6.7 so i know the tuning isn't the same but was mainly wondering if anyone had delt with them and how there tunes do in the duramax.
I too think if I was going to do a diesel conversion into a SB Chevy, and a suitable 6.5 is not available, then, it would be with a Cummins 12 valve. A friend over here with a truck repair shop has His one ton dually converted to a 12 valve and it is a mighty fine rig.
The SB would need a heavy duty front suspension and axle system to support the extra weight though.
I agree about the 12 valve or even an early dmax, but he really likes the 6.5s so i said id see what I can find out.

Oh yeah, a lot of controversy about people with tuners these days, it seems that EPA has cracked down on anyone messing with the tunes on their diesel engines. Too may of those TV shows where some builder wants to be a Hollywood star and make their truck do way more than anyone elses advertised way too much how they was doing this and that and EPA aint gonna set idly by and watch their good name get trashed. LOLOLOL

If the one block is a bare unit, You should be able to take a look at it and see if there are any cracks on the main bearing webs. Also one of the cylinders, dont remember which one, can crack into the coolant jacket and create problems. On the long block, if the person selling that would not be willing to allow You to do a tear down and inspection then I too would walk away from those engines. Just not worth throwing money at them to have a failed engine on first start up. probably best to get them magnafluxed before spending money on them too. The crankshafts, from what I read, are coated too and turning a shaft without having coating applied is a very quick engine failure too. I`m not sure but maybe @Twisted Steel Performance might be able to coat the journals after getting them turned.

I agree about the 12 valve or even an early dmax, but he really likes the 6.5s so i said id see what I can find out.

He is One. Sick. Puppy.

Welcome! He will fit right in!

Easier to find a diesel rig with a blown 6.2 diesel in it and drop in a new Optimizer. Emissions allow you to go Diesel to Gas, but, not Gas to Diesel.

What is the price of scrap metal? Figure the used engine weighs 600 LBS. That is likely their value. These engines are expendable, usually not rebuildable: due to cracks in everything heads, cylinders, and main webs... and still made as new longblocks.

So if he insists on going through the pain of a conversion you may as well start with a new Optimizer long block. Then coat the living hell out of it mainly for heat control.

With the price of gas being low it may be easier to warm up a gas engine or new GM crate engine. Again cost of an 6.5 Optimizer gets you one hellva warmed up gas GM crate engine, complete with ECM. Just saying.

A Repower Cummins R2.8 Turbo Diesel may be an option. Not sure on emissions.

Back