• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

gonna need a new block...

J.Peart

Reaction score
So a while back the head gaskets blew on my truck. got the engine pulled last weekend and tore it down over this week after work. #2,3,and 4 mains were cracked on the passenger side:mad2:. #4 was so bad i expect the engine would have catastrophically failed soon if it weren't for the head gaskets.

So i need a replacement block or this truck is getting sold... which would really suck.:nonod: Ive looked around here and might have a line on a 93 block w/ 330000 km on it. wont be able to look at it for a few weeks though cause its still in the truck and boxed in by snow. other than that the pickings are slim- there's a 97 a few hours drive from here but don't think i want that block.

there might be a few 6.2s in the local pick and pull- ill take a look at those but they are usually high mileage and used and abused. not too hopeful.

Its not looking to good for the 'burb.:sad:

well i found a couple of 6.2's today. an 82 in a truck, one out of an 83, one out of an 87, and one out of a late 80's.

hopefully one wil be good

well i found a couple of 6.2's today. an 82 in a truck, one out of an 83, one out of an 87, and one out of a late 80's.

hopefully one wil be good

Early 82 blocks were colored red, best block out there, had the most nickle content of all of the blocks.

Bore it .40 over and run it with all of the 6.5 equipment, You will have one strong block there. All the 6.2 blocks should be good if they are naturally aspirated, go figure ):h. And a seasoned block has less tendency to crack than a new block.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yeah i know about the 82 blocks. problem is its still in the truck so i wouldn't be able to inspect it before purchase.

i picked up a late 80's C-code motor today from the guy who is gonna do my heads. the shop next door to him pulled it out of a truck and replaced it with a gasser. 200 bucks. Ill pull it apart this week- if its no good i can return it and ill check out the 83.

Back