• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Going the distance 507K miles: wheel lift tow truck - $7900 (Harbor City) CA

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
2nd engine though. Claims Commiefornia putting it out of service.

1999 GMC 3500HD 6.5 DIESEL ENGINE TURBO ( EAGLE CLAW ) in good running condition. have to sell due to new California diesel regulation. second owner since 2005. in 2006 a brand new engine was installed on the truck the mileage at that time was 198,000. now the mileage now is 507,000. a new fuel injection pump was installed 6 months ago. phone calls only.

Curious what regulation is forcing it off road? Or is it just pain of $ to keep it passing “smog tests”.

I don’t live their, maybe a resident can clear it up more accurately. But my understanding is:
1/1/2020 no commercial diesel truck older than 2011 will be allowed to get new registration unless they prove the engine is a 2010 or newer engine. Wether that would mean install a new engine of same design like for us an optimizer with julian code of 1/1/2010 or newer. Also yet still same smog ppm and contamination count of what was legal before 2010 vs meeting 2010 smog level standards- this is something that was argued ut I never heard outcome.

Gonna be some good deals come up me thinks in 2020-2022 years. It will probably drop resell value noteably because do many owners will have to sell.

The law is in response to people buying pre def semi trucks and doing complete restorations to use commercially and avoid the def (and related) issues.

There is a weight class of 14,000 iirc that all diesels get thrown in wether commercial or private. That I remember reading some time back. There was a push to make it extend all the way down to 1/2 ton pickups, but idk if that ever went through.

Longer term like 2030 and 2040 is going to get amazingly tough there. 40% reduction then an amazing 80% reduction, respectively. I cant imagine how, outside of tesla.

Classic case of California legislators with zero sense of practical knowledge making laws not caring one bit about constituent realities. They'll just let it sort itself out without a care on their part. Been going on forever it seems.

Back