• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Going Manual Brakes?

Any rubber line anywhere on the truck during repair.

Replace caliper and customer doesn’t pay for a flush- Pinch the rubber hose, swap caliper, top off and bleed.

Replacing radiator, some guys pinch upper and lower hose, drain radiator only, swap radiator, connect and add coolant back in. Remove clamps and add maybe 1 qt of coolant.
Replacing power steering pump and customer doesn’t want to pay for flush- pinch rubber lines, catch fluid that drains from pump only, swap pump and and refill new pump after install with old fluid from drainpan.

Pinching the lines is less messy & faster. On metal lines there is plugs you install and only let a tiny amount drain out.

If Rubber lines either side of the fuel filter- pinch them so there is minimal leaking.

I never thought about it until now, but I bet if a person has already eliminated the vacuum pump and installed a turbo master. I bet a second PS pump could easily be mounted in that location and used to separate the hydroboost and the steering gear. you'd have to run custom lines from it but I think that would make for easier steering and brake pedaling.

for a test, yes. But to permanently separate the two units so that when one fails it doesn't effect the other might help. especially now that it's hard to find these Saginaw pumps with enough flow to operate both. now that the actual pump is a "one size fits all" situation at every auto parts suppliers.

when you look up just the pump without the reservoir for our rigs you get the same pump that goes in 1500 trucks or cars that only had light duty steering. There are posts all over other forums. mainly jeep enthusiast that do HB conversions where they talk about that now unicorn pump that actually has larger veins and pumps more fluid on each rotation. which from what I have read is supposed to be the OE pump that came on our rigs off the assembly line. nowadays if that pump has ever been replaced, you get the same run of the mill pump mounted to the reservoir for our rigs.

the easiest way I have been told to tell which pump you have is when the pump is out of the reservoir so you can see the back plate which holds the pump veins. it's ether a concave shape dish or convex dish allowing for larger internals.

this pic is of a normal or light duty pump. I will have to search for a photo of the other one.

PS840.png

I've changed pump a couple times.. always with AutoZone ones so probably the cheaper ones @dbrannon79 is referring to.not sure a weak pump would cause my particular problem.. but the info may help the original poster.. the down side of running 2pumps would be running the hoses under the fan shroud if going to steering box, or up over engine to get to hydroboost pump.
As for his situation, I get where he's coming from with wanting to eliminate things that can fail or cause problems, I personally hate abs for the most part.. it can be handy here in the snow belt at times.. but it can also malfunction to.. mine has cycled on damp roads where there no real chance I was actually loosing traction.. it being controlled by all the electrical crap in the trucks makes it susceptible to any electrical problem your truck has .. and with the age of these rigs we all have some kinda electrical problems... Not sure if this is true, but I was told that the brake light switch is somehow connected to the ABS. It's also connected to all kinds of other crap. Such as transmission and such... stupid design.. I replaced my brake light switch multiple times. Real pain in the ass. Thinking maybe it wasn't properly releasing all the way and still telling the transmission the brake was applied.. wheel speed sensors is another thing. Personally that's one thing I've never changed on my truck yet. Because a faulty one can send a bad signal and make the rest of the truck do crazy s***.. I honestly don't actually understand how they work.
As to Will's comment earlier, I do agree with the suicide mission theory you're speaking of. I would only do it to figure out once and for all of it's tranny or brakes messing up. But in hind sight with the brake light switch in the equation it still might not help figure it out..
As the op is suggesting, I'm not sure if want to permanently not have brake assist. On a bad hill that could be a problem. Or if pulling a trailer without trailer brakes.. . If you had to stop it fast in an emergency you would be screwed.. most of us grew up on vehicles that did not have power brakes or power steering for that matter.. I can remember my leg hurting very bad pulling out of the Hayfield at the end of the day..lol.
My one concern for him if he was to eliminate it all permanently, if he ever gotten an accident he would be screwed.. I've talked about bypassing these things in the past, but only temporarily to figure out what isn't working right. I stand by my opinion of hydroboost being a loop system not being smart.. by separating them if the hydroboost goes bad or the steering box goes bad it will help having them separate, cuz you only lose one or the other.. but in an engine fail situation it doesn't solve anything. My thought is coming off of a steep hill like we have around here and having the PMD s*** the bed.. I cannot imagine coming off some of these hills and only having three pumps on that break before I'm totally screwed.

Back