• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Going backwards?????????

toytruckman

Reaction score
So I went from a "real" EFI tune ~75hp-tow, to a predator 120hp. The initial impression is about the same, I need the 5-driving cycles for the trans. Anyway my question is has any one run the 120 Predator tune for any length of time? did U like it???

I did mod with EFI for stuff that would throw a code.

I have run my truck with the Predator 120 tune a few times. I totally hated it. IMO there is way to much timing built into it which makes it rattle like crazy. The egt's also climb very quickly and quite high. Now this is just me. I believe there are others here that have run the 120 tune all the time with no ill effects.

I haven't run the 120. I've stuck with the 85 all along. Everyone that has run the 120 has said it's way too rattley for their taste. Be interested in your take on it though. I've done enough damage to my rear tires as it is... ;)
I do know my trans shifts damn hard to 2nd and 3rd when it's cold. I may have to back off to 60 for winter if it gets worse when it's really cold.

It was fine when I had it.

Why are you running the predator tune over the EFILive? If you want a little hotter I'm sure someone wouldn't mind bumping your current tune up a little.

I ran the 120 Predator tune for a while without problems. The throttle was a bit sensitive, though, and you could hear the advanced timing rattle when the weather was cold.

I have a few times but that and the 85 tune in the Arizona heat smoke to much even under a light throttle for me I am Happy with the 65 horse tune.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I preferred the 85 tune any day of the week over the 12 tune. It rattled way, way too much for me. The 85 was perfect. And I didn't find the 120 any faster either. The throttle sensitivity was pretty cool but it was friggen loud and I hated it.

Rydnhi4x4 has been running the 120 for years without problems.

Well yes I was looking to go a bit more, just drove to work this AM and did not notice any-thing other than way less boost and hotter than before:skep: It actually seemed quieter than before? I guess I will try this for a few days. I do have a SoCal 120 tune that I have never run might try that.
Will let you all know what happens.

Dave

One more thing this AM when I cranked her she did "hunt" quite-a-bit.

Well yes I was looking to go a bit more, just drove to work this AM and did not notice any-thing other than way less boost and hotter than before:skep: It actually seemed quieter than before? I guess I will try this for a few days. I do have a SoCal 120 tune that I have never run might try that.
Will let you all know what happens.

Dave

One more thing this AM when I cranked her she did "hunt" quite-a-bit.

I'm sure Guy's 120 tune would be excellent. I got your message, yes I ran the 90HP tune in the library for a LONG time on my LBZ before I started playing with it. It's a good tune also if you want to give it a shot.

Thanks 8100:agreed: I think I will give it a try.
The 120 Pred was way way too hot too fast.
I put the 85 in and it seems better cause it's a lot quiter than Guy's 75 tow:skep: I've been running that tune for ~20k, I dont think it has "hurt" my motor but I started to get scared about all the talk around "rattle"
The Pred does not de-fuel; so 0 to faster than I usually go it is quicker:eek:
I was gona get another tune but I think I'm gona get a lift pump instead:hihi:

Thanks EveryBody:)
Dave

I ran the 120 tune for a couple weeks this summer, engine was louder than i liked it to be, tranny hated the tune and never seemed to shift right, and using the cruise sucked!!! The throttle is way to sensitive for using the cruise, it was constantly surging!! I did get 23mpg on a trip empty though. I have since ran other tunes for long periods of time and the fuel milage is always at least 21mpg on trips, so far i am happiest with with the 65hp tune but i will be dropping back to the tow tune for winter. The truck grosses around 13k lbs when loaded for plowing/sanding and i find the tow tune works best for that. Overall i have driven the truck with the Predator on it for over 70k miles now, most of the driving was either tow tune or 65hp tune.

I had the Predator set at 85 for awhile and I really liked it until I used Trippins Tow Tune. Still had the pull, but was a bit smoother. Since then, I switched over to a DSP5 setup and I've never been happier. Trippins 120 tune is very very nice. I also like the ability to instantly switch the power down when I pull a trailer, or if the wife gets a hold the truck..

Back