• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GMTDscan

Acesneights1

Reaction score
Hey thought I'd do a thread about my experience installing and using it. Don't know if he's a vendor here yet so I won't post a link but since most of us are refugees from the place we have pretty much all heard of it and short of a Tech 1 or 2 it's the best way to scan and troubleshoot a 94-95 OBD1 6.5
Just want to post some of the problems I had getting it to work so no one else who might buy it wastes time figuring it out like I did. First off make sure the computer you plan on putting in in meets minimum requirements. They are listed on his site. Second and most important make sure your computer is up to date with latest service packs. You will need to Install .Net framework from Microsoft and it will not install until you have updated your software. Supposedly his software installs it for you, it didn't for me.Those running cracked versions of XP you might be out of luck on updating.
Next when you install and go to validate, He recommends you copy the validation info instead of retyping it. I spent close to an hour trying to figure out why I couldn't get it by typing because the info was on my desktop and i was installing on my laptop. Well in the email a 0 looked like an O . The info must be exact and is case sensitive and you need to input everything not just the serial number.
Ok on to the cable. Since you will most likely just buy his you need to upload the driver for it which is not a link on his website. He sends the link in the email after purchase. It's www.hiswebsite.com/cable/install/ .
The driver is a small executable file so it won't open an install sheild. It will be a quick DOS screen flash. If you blink, you miss it. Also the directions for installing the cable say to direct to this file for install as a driver file. Doesn't work, atleast didn't for me but I had already installed it when I opened the file. Just didn't know it.
Now When you go to do a communication Test(GMTD program tells you how) be careful that the software is configured to the same com port that the computer is. Ex:
My USB port was Com4. The software by default was Com 1. No good. Go into the software settings and change it to whatever port your USB is on. This info can be found in device manager under USB.
Don't want to discourage anyone from buying it. Once installed it actually works very good and is easy to use. Just the install instructions are vague and the average point and clicker may get frustrated. Just thought I'd post my experience so no one else makes same mistakes.
Another weak spot was when you take a snapshot , It would not all
low you to copy and paste. Don't get that one. Big secret I guess.

Last edited:
Snapshots do allow a copy paste.

Highlight the text. ctrl+c to copy and ctrl+v to paste.

Aces,

Got the GMTDScan software installed, registered, started but it's not connecting to the truck. When I checked that the ALDL device was installed, it says no device drivers. I never got device drivers from Stefan, only the registration info. The software default is COM4. When I run the ALDL interface test, I get successful for COM1, COM2, and COM3, but Open for COM4. When I type in COM1 (drop down options does not work), I get error opening serial port. Same thing happens if I type in COM2 or COM3. When I run the connect to truck, I get an error trying to connect to COM1.

I'm lost on this.

HP Laptop runing Windows XP. Wishing my truck was a running right and not belching white smoke.

Big T

Last edited:
well, I am no computer guru but IIRC you have to see which com port your usb is on then config GMTDScan for that port.IN otherwords if your laptps USB is on com port x then GMTDScan needs to be set to Comport x. I don't remember having to install any drivers. Just the software.If the com port is not configured properly it will not connect. Basically the software needs to find the hardware.

OK, I run win 2000 but it should be the same I think. Right click on My Computer, Left click on Manage and then left click on Device manager. go down to Ports and open that up. It should tell you what port your USB is on. Then set GMTDScan to that port.

The click route is not the same for XP, but I got to the device manager. Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, I have 4 Universal Host Controllers, 1 Enhanced Controller and 5 USB Root Hubs. All of them are enabled and operating properly.

Still lost.

P.S. Sorry to be bothering you with this. I also sent an e-mail to Stefan.

It's been 2 years but IIRK click on "Drivers" at the left, then it will open to 3 choices. Click on "VCP" then under the "comments" there is a link saying "setup executable" click on that and see if it works.

I dragged my son into it, went through my history and then downloaded the device driver for XP from the ENGH Motors website. Then it allowed us to specify the COM1 option and it connected to the truck.

I think Stefan needs to add just one more bullet point to his instructions: download the appropriate device driver corresponding to operating software you're running.

Anyway, connected it to the truck but did not start. I will run it tomorrow to see what's up with the timing.

Yeah that was my biggest beef with the program.. your kinda on your own to figure that stuff out. ONce you get it right it works great though.

I looked at my XP laptop at work it navigates exactly the same way BUT i have ,my XP laptop setup to classic look so it looks just like 2000. This is the screen you should be at.

Attachments

• gmtdscan.doc
    74 KB · Views: 24
I was close, but I needed the drivers. Took bringing my son in on the task. I guess it's a generational thing? Wish I was more computer savvy, but for me they're just a tool and I've shied away from their inner workings. Guess that makes me the computer equivalent of Forest's lil sister who likes to redline the truck?:rolleyes5:

Anyway, I posted my scan results in a separate thread. Can you take a look and opine if my conclusion is correct?

I bought some obstruction (bent) wrenches at Harbor Freight and returned the Craftsman double box wrench that needed bending. Unfortunately, I need the length of the Craftsman wrench to reach the bottom IP nuts. Then I need someone with a torch to bend it. I've got your photo of the bent wrench.

Device manager/ Ports (COM&LPT), there you find what COM port is used to ALDL cable in the system (cable must be connected to USB port of course).
Same way found in xp home, xp pro and vista.
I have saved few copies of driver just if I need to change/replace my laptop or something...
http://www.enghmotors.com/cable/install/

Last edited:
Back