• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GMT400 Door Support for Towing Mirrors

Never thought about the foam behind the glass. I know there is some behind the base and another chunk that gets stuffed in the cavity of the door where the bolts are holding the mirror. on mine there are three metal tab like fingers that help hold the glass in it's position. I have heard of them getting weak and causing the glass to shake within the mirror assy.

as for door skins I have also seen some vehicles where the manufactures put a huge chunk of grey colored Styrofoam inside the door glued to the outer door skin. apparently, that helps the rigidness of the cheap thin sheet metal they use nowadays.

I bought a sheet of closed cell foam from McMaster Carr when I installed mine. I trimmed to fit and when I installed, I had about 1/16" that stuck out all the way around the perimeter of the base. The foam was 1/8" thickness if I remember correctly.
Something like this:
I guess the fact that this has now risen to a place on the fix it lost, things are pretty good with the truck.

Never thought about the foam behind the glass. I know there is some behind the base and another chunk that gets stuffed in the cavity of the door where the bolts are holding the mirror. on mine there are three metal tab like fingers that help hold the glass in it's position. I have heard of them getting weak and causing the glass to shake within the mirror assy.

as for door skins I have also seen some vehicles where the manufactures put a huge chunk of grey colored Styrofoam inside the door glued to the outer door skin. apparently, that helps the rigidness of the cheap thin sheet metal they use nowadays.

The foam I mentioned is what I used between the base of the mirror and the steel on the door where it mounted. Maybe the foam that was mentioned earlier is the big thick piece that is in the triangular shaped hole where there is access to the nuts which hold the mirror?

Yes, the stuff I used worked well.

Back