• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GM 4.3 liter diesel?!

DEERE3594

I welcome everyone...not just Penguins!
Reaction score
Never heard of this... am I in the dark or is this something new to anyone else?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/pts/2447661800.html

"what I have here is a 4.3 liter V6 that came out of I believe is a 86 olds it ran great before we pulled it. I was going to put it in a jeep I had but sold the jeep and now I need it gone if you need to know anything else please give me a call at 937-585-6092 ask for aaron asking $400 dollars obo "

They did exist. It was a very rare engine. 4.3L V6 diesel. It was in the smaller cars around when the 5.7 V8 diesel was in the bigger cars.

You want even more rare, try finding the near impossible to find 4.3L V8 diesel.

Yes there were both 4.3L V6s and 4.3L V8s.

Here's an old ad for the 4.3L V8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-a6-OCxnLw

From what i heard the 4.3s had a higher failure rate than the 5.7s did. I had one good and one bad 5.7 diesel. The good one made it to 370,000 miles before it blew a head or gasket. The 4.3 v-6 diesels were in the cutlass ciera's. Very few of any of the olds diesels left now.

Was the 4.3 V6 diesel in the Chevettes? I remember my Dad's uncle (my great uncle) having an '82 two door Chevette with the 4.3 diesel.

Because They used the gas engine tooling to assemble to 5.7 diesel they were a head bolt short of a 6 pack. Bean counters overrode engineers request for a extra head bolt per cylinder. The V-6 engine got an extra head bolt and powdered aluminum heads because they had to tool up and got the extra head bolt the engineers wanted. This gave the engine less blown head gaskets and broken head bolt issues than the 5.7. Chevettes had a 4 cylinder diesel that could not power the car and AC so AC was not an option on them. Again with fuel the way it was and poor filtering... It sucked to lead the way with cheap diesel engines back then. A good diesel engine did somewhat better although any old WV owner will hurt you if you bring up the painful memories of glow plugs.

I was the only one to tear down and reassemble the 4.3L diesel our college had donated to it in the 10+ years it sat there in the engine class. It was scrapped a year later. The engine had occlusions in the piston casting and would have failed (shattered) a piston in use from the bad casting.

I thought chevettes had a Isuzu diesel in them as did the Luv thucks.

Back