• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

glow plug replacement question

vaicase

Reaction score
i have a 1995 engine code f, i want to replce the glow plugs, with winter coming up. i was thinking ac delco part number 60g. i was wondering is there a faster and hotter glow plug for our g.m. diesel trucks? or what do you think is the best plug for my 1995 6.5? the 60g is about 14.00 a peice. thank you very much

I use the ac delco 60g with no problems. I highly recommend the glow plug relay mod that is listed some where in the library.

o.k. i looked at the truck today and the left side looks easy. but how do you do the right the easiest? it looks like maybe through the wheel well. i can even see the far back one at all. and it looks like the 3rd one is behind the down pipe. there is sleeves over the 2nd and 3rd. that are held in by two bolts. thanks

o.k. i looked at the truck today and the left side looks easy. but how do you do the right the easiest? it looks like maybe through the wheel well. i can even see the far back one at all. and it looks like the 3rd one is behind the down pipe. there is sleeves over the 2nd and 3rd. that are held in by two bolts. thanks

Wheel well is easiest, the hard one is the back one if you have a large down pipe. It can be done from under the vehicle. Use needle nose to get the plug off the glows inside the sheilds.

I just went out an took a picture of how I did mine a while back. I just eyeballed it and cut a 1 inch square hole in the inner fender with a die grinder and a cutting disk. Turned out great. Turned a nightmare into a 10 minute job.

-Justin

IMG_20110930_223617_Small.jpg

one more thing. when doing the right side. do i take the sheilds off? it looke like they are held on by 2 bolts? thank you

I jut removed the rubber/plastic splash shield and that gave me access to the front three GP's. To get to the back one, you can go in from the bottom, take the inner fender out, or my solution as pictured above: a small, well placed hole.

It took me half an hour to take the wheel off, take the splash shield off, change front plugs, determine placement of hole, cut hole, change plug, reconnect harness, replace splash shield, replace wheel.
Piece of cake. I had done the left side the previous day.

-Justin

I left the heat shield in place and gently wiggled the connector from the GP with long needle nosed pliers as suggested by Slim Shady.
Number 8 was entertaining but I've done it from underneath using the "feel around" technique. Easiest way was when I had the downpipe removed but that would take a lot longer than going through the contortions.

I usually take off the heat shields for 4 and 6. on my 96 I do #8 from above, can't do it from above on my 94 plow truck

Deep socket and inner fender removal did the trick for me.

Removing the inner fender was worth it just in less hassle and aggravation.

I learned a long time ago that removing one or two components for unfettered access is always worth a little extra work.

I was also replacing injectors at the same time.

Bosch duraterms here.

:)

Take the RF wheel off and the inner fender I also take off the down pipe, heres a shot of it all off, make sure you clean or replace those grounds and Glow Plug Harness while your at it004.jpg007.jpg

When I did mine, no different than most suggestion above:
1. took off the tire and the inner fender.
2. loosen the down pipe from the clamp to the turbo to have some wiggle room.
3. take off the 2 bolts on the GP shield for both GP.
4. last GP is easy to take off once you do step 1.

Everybody said, we can do the last one from the bottom.
If you have upgraded the exhaust to 3" DP, there is no way to access the last GP from the bottom.
It took me 2 days just to finally decide to take out the tire and fender, takes about 15 minutes with a power tool.

Oh and one more thing I would add. I agree with what everyone has said, I take the inner fender out as well, mostly because I have had that thing off more times than I can count.

Just to warn you, you may break a couple of the fender nuts, depending on the rust and how long it has been since the fender was removed. You can find them at most parts stores. My fender is shy two bolts and nuts now just because I am too lazy to get some and replace them :)

Also I am running the Bosch Duratherms as well. Love them.

Back