• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Glow Plug Override

chrisk1500

Reaction score
Well it is starting to get colder here....

I was having cold start problems with the 60G plugs I had last winter and upgraded to Duraterms.

The Duraterms are still going strong and combined with the GL4 programming, the truck fires up with a little bit of cranking (not nearly as much cranking as was required with the 2.0 and the 60G plugs). There is still enough white smoke to make me cringe a little....the engine is definately getting worn out (bought it with over 300 000 kms on it - compression test is in order I guess)...

I pulled out all of my plugs yesterday to check on them and they all still glow at the tip and work their way to the middle of the plug.

I am going to install an override to see if I can get an even cleaner start with the truck...

I searched on this site and could not find a walkthrough - anyone interested in me doing a similar walkthrough on the installation to the one I did on the old site or do we all know how to do this by now?

I have no problem taking the camera with me if there is interest....

I'll post pics, a shopping list, and prices.....stay tuned....getting chilly out here....

i just did mine about a month ago. it's not hard to do all I used was a solenoid some appliance wire and a push button. the appliance wire works nice because of the extra layer on it and it's heat resistant.

Theres a kid over on the place that did it without a solenoid right to a switch in the cab... thats awesome if you're cool with burning your truck to the ground... anyone interested? :D

oh no don't worry, its going to a switch that can handle 60 amps. :nonod:

I *think* he may have switched it now, cuz when he posted what he had done several people began the "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" campaign, and hopefully persuaded him to switch that system. He is a good kid, new to his 6.5 and has good ideas, just needs to keep learning, and using proven systems until he can safely homebrew things.

Back