• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Glow Plug Extend Relay install, with Pics..

Hydrauk

Hydrauk
Reaction score
Hello all!! I finally got around to installing a Glow Plug realy to extend "Glow" time. Posted some pictures. Hope it helps out.
Truck Frame-Gauge-Glow 001.JPG
Stock GM, Glow Plug Controller, Upper left around 11:00 Area.
Truck Frame-Gauge-Glow 004.JPG
Relay from Ford truck, Junk yard, Cash for clunker, Mint, 5.00 Dollars.
Truck Frame-Gauge-Glow 007.JPG
Momentary Push to "on" Switch, Fuse holder, and Wire for Switch side.
Truck Frame-Gauge-Glow 005.JPG
Ford Relay mounted and Wired to Factory GM control relay.
Truck Frame-Gauge-Glow 008.JPG
All wires are put back onto factory relay, and Ford relay, wired up.
Truck Frame-Gauge-Glow 009.JPG
Back of push Push Switch. One wire to "Key on Hot" Other wire to Ford Solenoid Small Stud. "Trigger"
Truck Frame-Gauge-Glow 010.JPG
Switch installed on Dash, Near ignition key. Easy to get to.

Attachments

• Truck Frame-Gauge-Glow 003.JPG
    Truck Frame-Gauge-Glow 003.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 124
By the way.....The last photo presented was the GM factory mounting bracket for the Vacuum soleniod. I removed it and modified it, in order to install the Ford relay, wanted a cleaner look. I no longer have the need for the Vacuum soleniod. My Trurbo is now mechanical.

I hope anyone seeing the pictures can get a better view of what they would do when /if they are to install someting like this set up.

Cheers!
David

Nice Job,, I love mine,, in the cold Michigan winters,, I did on/off lighted switchs side by side along with the High Idle Mod. Also a good source for cheap solenoids is Tractor Supply stores,, they sell a basic one for older tractors for $9.99.

Nice Job,, I love mine,, in the cold Michigan winters,, I did on/off lighted switchs side by side along with the High Idle Mod. Also a good source for cheap solenoids is Tractor Supply stores,, they sell a basic one for older tractors for $9.99.

Hello!!! Thank you!! Well..I was already at the Auto Junk yard that day. Drooling at all the MINT condition Cars and Trucks that where traded Cash for Clunkers. I just got that Soleniod while I was poking around.

I was going to go with Lighted switches like you did. I had that switch in my Tool box, and decided on it. Besides...I would hate to forget I left that switch on.

I have not done the High Idle mod yet.

Cheers!
David

Nice job! You've just been added to the 6.5 Technical Reference Library!

Nice Install.

Mind if I add some of my the pics from my install a little while ago?

You guys think my button looks almost OEM? lol

And some install pics.

I took my bezel off because I was installing a different switch for my high idle :).

hi and nice jobs but where can i found the (wire to "Key on Hot" ) in mi truck!?:thumbsup:

Look at the under dash convenience panel. There is a wire toward the top left side that is hot only in ing. You may need to use a test light to find it.

Back