• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Getting ready to start my project !!!

Hey Mike,

Just asking is the IP set to that rpm because its designed for boat motors? I got a DB2-5722 same thing from my understanding but Im still deployed havent got back to install it yet. Will be watching closely to see what happens hoping I dont have the same problem. Also Is your RPM set at 3600 ? Best of luck, and nice build if I havent said so already.

No, I'm quite sure it's not set to run at 1,500 rpm's.. my buddy had it on his truck and drove it as a daily driver.
I'm not sure what is going on exactly, maybe lift pump issues, air issues, I really don't know what I'm doing... just winging it. I'll probably have to track down my buddy and see if he can give me a hand with getting this thing sorted out.

And Yes the tag on my pump says 3,600 on it, but my buddy fiddled with the governor and claims it will rev to 4,600 - 4,800

4,600 - 4,800 :eek: I think thats a little to high for me I will be trying to set mine to 4100 RPM MAX my tach only goes to 4 K anyways. From my understanding these motors wont hold at that RPM but Im sure someone will chime in if I am wrong. I but my 6.2 soild rocks on after my machine shop said that the stamp steel and plastic was a joke and if I wanted 4000 RPM and more then stock boost that would be my best bet. I hope its something easy most of the time it is, I cant wait to see that dually smoke those tires.

Well,, just because the pump is goverened that high doesn't mean I'm gonna twist it that hard.. especially once the tranny is done. Probably will have the shift points set at 4,000... The buddy of mine that I got the pump from basically told me I had to pull the pump, balancer, studs, gear drive myself from his old motor... all of his push rods were bent into "Z's" and all of his rocker shafts were broken. I never did look into the bottom end to see if his rods were bent or broken though. He was also running the Optishift stand alone with his 4l80e if I remember correctly.

Really glad you are up and running, the wrinkles will all iron out....:thumbsup:

When you have it running, is your high idle, cold advance cutting out? You can easily check it with a volt meter on both pins. When we were adjusting our governor, found that the governor adjustment shaft needs to be at the right length or our idle and sometimes throttle response was erratic. If need be, John at Unique Diesel can probably set up your pump. I believe that Chris set his DB2833 to him.

Still waiting for a video of running motor....

Stick to it and congrats Mike....:)

Thanks J & J.. I just have a lot going on right now and have lil patience for this darn truck at the moment... Getting ready to fly back out to Phoenix this next weekend before truck driving school starts up, plus we're getting really busy at work again.... Chain saws galore.

Also I'm seeing oil leakage that I need to track down. The last time I had it running, after I shut it off, tried to restart it wouldn't fire.. BUT I also noticed no oil pressure on the gauge... I'm kinda wondering if now that the oil pump has filled everything else with oil that maybe it's low in the pan, maybe lost prime.. and of course won't kick the lift pump on, if that's even working properly.

Mike

Went out a lil bit ago and bumped the key... Fired right up and is starting to run smoother. I pulled it back up in front of the garage instead of out in the middle of the driveway.

This time was running consistently at 700 - 750 RPM's with foot holding accelerator, when I let off it would quit. And was running 70 psi oil pressure, so oil pressure is not an issue. This thing is very snappy, when I stab the throttle maybe up to 3,500 - 3,600 it bellows a good amount of smoke... Not sure if it should be or not. I DO need to get this thing running consistently enough to get it over to a friends shop to install the lift.. and then the new walbro lift pump.. and fix the rear brake line.

Mike

I'll have to buy a GO-Pro Cam (AND figure out how to use it and upload vids) before I can make any videos and or post them... will be after I get back from Phoenix. I have it idling now.. Silly me didn't notice the idle screw was turned out.

Now I think some of the problem is lift pump related.. I'm not hearing it run at all AND if that is the case, I'm quite surprised that the IP would pull fuel up to itself... IF that is the case

Mike, get you a fuel pressure gauge in there:

temporary-23.jpg

CIMG3392.jpg

Have fun with the lift install too. I am on day three of mine...but I only work on it for a few hours a day:

temporary-81.jpg

temporary-82.jpg

Yeah.. I need to get boost / pyro / fuel pressure gauges in it.. I was just hoping to get up and going reliably before having to spend MORE money and put MORE parts on... Kinda tired of it.

What kind and how much lift did ya go with ??

Its an RCD 6". I think it actually gives you 4.5" of drop, then you can crank for the full six. The rear came with blocks and add a leafs, I am only going to do the blocks, then just level the front to the rear.

Well.. a buddy of mine came over today and helped me take a quick look at it. We didn't have time to check real far in depth, but from his experience and first thought was the lift pump is working at first "key on" when the glows are first warming because as soon as the glow light kicks off and I hit the key it fires instantly and will run for a short period and then quit. It will start again but each time it quits, it gets progressively harder to start. However, when it's running, if I just keep it throttled up say like 1,000 or higher, it will stay running. He thinks at those RPM's and or higher that the IP is pulling the fuel to keep running.

So tomorrow I think I'll get another battery to use and just hook an isolated 12v directly to the lift pump (will disconnect the lift pump from the plug that it is plugged into) and see what happens then.. But damn I love how this thing fires instantly and the throttle response is Awesome...!!

Its an RCD 6". I think it actually gives you 4.5" of drop, then you can crank for the full six. The rear came with blocks and add a leafs, I am only going to do the blocks, then just level the front to the rear.

I really don't want to go more than 4" on mine, but if it gives 4.5" uncranked, I can handle that.

Where do you plan on keeping it? 6"?

Mine will stay at whatever makes the CVs straight out, no crank, should be 4"-4.5". I also don't want alot of lift. I just needed a way to get the diff lower in the front and the torsion bar xmember down away from the xfer case due to a future project.

PM if you want any more info on it, I'd be glad to talk.

Sorry for the hijack Mike!

No biggie... I thought the advertised lift kits for our IFS trucks had a slight range to them. I have the Tough Country 4", but thought I had read (depending on how the torsion bars were adjusted and the blocks in the back that 3.5" to 5" were attainable". I figured that with new energy suspension cab mounts and maybe a half inch body spacer that would be plenty.

Anyhow, I'm stoked to get this thing lifted and driving.. I can't wait to feel this thing GO when the throttle gets stabbed.

Alrighty everybody.. Got 'er fingered out !!

It's the lift pump or the "lack of signal" to the lift pump... I had the wife hop in and turn the key to "ON" and there was no lift pump, grabbed the test light and tested the leads to the pump and there was no signal. I then grabbed the spare battery I just picked up, some test wires and had her hold the wires to the posts so I could stuff the other ends to the lift pump leads and Ta Daa the lift pump was working. I waited til it primed up really well and went and hit the key.. Instant fire and purred like a mean 6.5

I had the wife hold the wires on for a good 5 - 10 min.(she was not too excited about that) and the truck never missed a beat or quit, I then had her unhook the ground and I watched the tach, within a minute the rpm's dropped from 900 to 700.. touch the ground back to the battery and again the rpm's jumped back to 900 and were stable..

So, I fly out to Phoenix early tomorrow morning, will be out there for the weekend, fly back on Monday, so possibly Monday or Tuesday I will run a 12v toggled wire to the lift pump just to get me going long enough to get the lift in...:thumbsup:

Mike

Also will be getting a Go Pro HD Hero 2 after I get back.

Back