• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Getting ready to go to the Black Hills

ghostrider500

Always stirrin' the pot
Reaction score
So this Friday I'm loading up the family, hooking on to the fiver, and heading to the Black Hills for a week of "relaxation". If, God forbid, the 'ol 6.5 decides to throw a tantrum, do any of you have the name, address, number, of any 6.5 friendly repair shops along the way? I'll be going west from Albert Lea, MN on I90 across South Dakota to Custer, SD. Not really expecting anything going wrong, but want to be prepared.

We made it! No problems until we hit torrential rains with really strong winds by Mitchell, SD. 40-45 mph crosswind was too much for the 'ol girl; had to resort to coming out of overdrive and running 40 mph for about 40 miles to keep all the temps in line; got to Wall and stopped for lunch and let the winds pass thru. Weather cleared and it was clear sailing to Custer. Averaging about 10-11 mpg with a speed of 60-70, 1000 to 1150*F egt and tranny temps from 175-190*F. Engine temp barely moved; 185-195*F the whole way; glad I cleaned out the radiators last year and put in the duramax fan. Fan clutch never kicked in.
BTW, rear tires are Treadwright and seeing the pics of Big T's right before I left gave me something new to worry about. No need foe the anxiety as they performed flawlessly.
Now its time to enjoy the scenery. :hihi: Went thru Custer to our campsite and came upon two buffalo on the road so we can check that box. Kids were estatic to see them right by their door.

Nothing better than a vacation! :thumbsup:

Hope you have a great time. :agreed:

:hello:

Made it back

No problems on the way home, although I tended to be near that 1200*F exhaust temp alot. Tried Lucas brand fuel conditioner on the way home and fuel mileage went down; 7-9 mpg average. My main aggravation is how easily the wind meddles with this truck/trailer. Trailer only weighed 7255 loaded (scaled it), but I guess with the 33' trailer side profile and CCLB truck profile gave the wind plenty to blow against. Just had to remind myself to be patient.
Saw all the usual sites and the fam had a great time so I will consider it mission accomplished for Operation Vacation 2014:hihi::thumbsup:

Had a feeling you are spoiled from driving the heavy rig. Glad to hear you had a good time.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Back