• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Gelling

jbsaxman

Reaction score
Ok, dumb@$$ question here:

I forgot to add my additive with the last tank of fuel I put in. And it got mighty cold here last night. Tried to start my truck this morning and she wouldn't go. I suspect that my fuel gelled. Will it degell as it gets warmer? I didn't have time to actually check, so I don't know for sure if it's the case, but I suspect it is.

Thanks.

As far as I know, it should re-liquify once it's warmed up enough. If you need to, add some of the power service from the red bottle. IIRC, it's designed to quickly un-gel. When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? Just a thought.

Yes it will de-gel as it gets warmer. They also make an additive called "Melt Down" that will de-gel the fuel. Leo

What about the fuel thats in the line.

Also, my fuel filter only had a couple hundred miles on it.

No gelling. Just the equation: Frigid air + Icy block = Not enough heat during compression to ignite fuel.

See my 'Interesting' thread.

As far as summer or winter blends, the refineries all take the temp into concideration. When we load up, we generally have a percentage of #2 plus #1. BP uses a 70 - 30 mix during Feb (at least in Chicago). Others use a additive that we add when we get to the station. One place in particular, uses a product that gets added in a ratio of 1 gal per 1000 gal of fuel. Mobil kinda pre-blends it with out us having to figure anything.

As far as the filter goes, I ran for a guy last winter that had just changed filters a week earlier and by running bio (B-11) it clogged up the filter that quick. There are stations that use bio and aren't required to label it as such (again, at least here in Illinois) IIRC, it was around 0* that whole week.

Back