• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Gears & Towing

NovaGuy

Reaction score
Most 3500's have 4:11's and 4:56's gears. How many of you are towing with 3:73's. Whats the max in weight that can be towed with 3:73's. Just looking for better fuel mileage when not towing the trailer.

Actually ALL of the Duramax 3500's, unless modified by the owner, have 3.73 gears. Sooo, that means that the Dmax 3500's can tow max GCWR with 3.73's, and I suspect there are those out there way over max GVW rating towing with 3.73's.

Probably would be a good idea to fill in your signature so we get an idea of what you're dealing with when asking a question. It'll help us give you better answers.

BTW, I tow a 9500lb (dry) 5ver with 3.73s not sweat.....:thumbsup:
JP

He has a 6.5 which is a total different beast.

NovaGuy, My truck is just a 2500 with 3.73's and the GVW is 8600lbs. Yours should still be higher than that if you go with 3.73's, maybe around 9400lbs or so but that is just a guess.

Change your tires to 235/85/16 and don't adjust your speedometer for the tire change. Will make your 4:11's seem very close to 3:73's. Had a '96 that I did this with. Used it hauling 21k worth of hay/trailer 10 or so times a year. Mileage increase while running empty or with lighter loads was really noticable.

;)Know wander those duramaxes get such good mileage. I asked cause there was another 3500 6.5'r at the track. He was hauling his car on the trailer. He claimed to get 22 mpg not hauling the car and trailer. But i still think he's full of it:lol:.

On my '96 3500 Crewcab 6.5 silverado, it was easy to get 24 not hauling. I also had a 100 gal fuel tank in the box.

Whats the factory size tire for the duramaxes.

RVC- I currently run 225/75/16. The truck is lowered. Any taller tire they'll rub the f- fenders. Might be able to go taller on the rear.

I do have 3:42's i bought while back but thought they where to high of gears.

I took out my 4.11's and put in 3.71's it's a dana 70HD so the ratio's are freakin weird but the old girl still is a pullin monster and now I can do more than 55 mph on the highway and not be in my red line with the old SM465.

Back