• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Gear/Trans oil recommendations

Heartbeat Hauler

A(ACLU) Agent Yoda
Reaction score
Ashton,
My wife's '04 Suburban 6.0L 2500 4x4 is due for a drive train oil change and I would like recommendations and quotes for the following:
Transmission oil (4L80E)
Front and rear differentials (G80)
Transfer case (Auto 4x4 option)

The suburban (90,000 miles) has the Auto 4x4 option if that matters, no mods. I have been using whatever the dealership has in stock. We have moved to Morgantown, WV recently and there is way more crawl-along traffic, the terrain has many more hills and the weather conditions are much worse than where we used to live. She doesn't tow or haul, it is just a daily driver and some road trips. I would also like to increase the change intervals, so I guess synthetics shipped to 26508. Hope that is enough info. Thanks.

Last edited:
Ashton steered me to 75w90 Severe Gear the last change in the front & rear of the GMC. I too would like to see what he has to say about the Tahoe as the wife's '07 is due for front and rear as well as TC

Hey y'all.
For the front and rears I recommend the Severe Gear 75w-90 (SVG), and for the transmission I recommend the Amsoil Synthetic Trans fluid (ATF).

Unfortunately, the "Auto" 4wd transfer case is not an application I can cover. As far as I know, you are stuck with the GM Auto-Trak II smurf juice.

Heartbeat, are you planning to pump the transmission out with a flush machine or just normal service by dropping the pan?

Feel free to call if you like

724-561-6407

Ashton

Hey y'all.
For the front and rears I recommend the Severe Gear 75w-90 (SVG), and for the transmission I recommend the Amsoil Synthetic Trans fluid (ATF).

Unfortunately, the "Auto" 4wd transfer case is not an application I can cover. As far as I know, you are stuck with the GM Auto-Trak II smurf juice.

Heartbeat, are you planning to pump the transmission out with a flush machine or just normal service by dropping the pan?

Feel free to call if you like

724-561-6407

Ashton
The latter, normal service - drop the pan. Is this an issue? I can take it to the local dealership if it has to be flushed. You can answer here for the benfit of the others who may have this situation, but I think I'm gonna give you a call later in the week. Thanks for the response. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
The latter, normal service - drop the pan. Is this an issue? I can take it to the local dealership if it has to be flushed. You can answer here for the benfit of the others who may have this situation, but I think I'm gonna give you a call later in the week. Thanks for the response. :thumbsup:

Dropping the pan and doing a traditional service is fine. Flush is fine as long as it's not an Allison(depending on who you ask).

Ashton,
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. My wife took the Suburban in to the dealership while I was out of town, and got the services done before I ordered the Amsoil stuff. Anyways, my '01 3500 is due for the front and rear diff fluid change. I am assuming that the Severe Gear 75w-90 is the fluid of choice for my truck also? I haven't ordered from you before so I don't know what your method is, just go to your website and order? And, I think I need 4 quarts 2ea. front and rear....right? I 'd like to order this in the next day or 2. Thanks.

Back