• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

gear reduction starter

Not sure really. As long as you can confirm it's not a chinese built starter. Heard horror stories of them sticking on(diesel slug had this issue). Honestly if the starter wants to commit suicide so be it, but the possibility of it taking the ring gear with it wouldn't make that a gamble i'd be willing to take. Never mind nuking your batteries and starting system high side wiring.

not to rain on the parade and spill my usual drivel, but have you checked junkyards? I bought a 28MT ACDelco gear reduction starter for a whopping $25 in perfect working condition for a spare. Might be worth hunting for a 6.5 or late model 6.2 and getting the starter.

That one you sent me a while ago i rebuilt the entire thing after somehow damaging the gear reduction unit and causing it to grind badly. It's been in my blazer and is healthy as a horse after a good used armature and countershaft from the local rebuilders "junk" pile. $45 in parts.

Last edited:
I bought one ot those. Wow, you can fell the power when crancking : strong & fast spinning :eek:
Sure the engine has no other choice than firing up :thumbsup:

On the other side, it is on the truck for 2 months only, and I have no experience if wether it will last or not...

I have one of those starters brand new never used. Picked it up before I figured out I had an Autozone lifetime. It can be had for a lot less than the ebay price. Hell, I can probably deliver it next time I get over to Baumhart road.
Ted

Rafedial1, what is the reason you're looking for a starter? Is yours busted or could it just be rebuilt. I don't know where you're located in Ohio, but I had my starter rebuilt in Upper Sandusky about 5-7 years ago (been a long time) and it cost me about $100.

Back