• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Gauge Wiring

preachermic

Reaction score
Dumb question, where do I tie my gauge lights in so they will dim and brighten with the rest of the dash lights. Thanks!

I jumped in on the fused side of illumination fuse in your interior fuse box. Run a test light on it and dim up and down and your test light should follow. Once you found it, unplug it, and check both sides for power again. Once you find which side has power with fuse unplugged, plug fuse back in and hook up to the other side (the one that goes through the fuse)

I just found a small terminal connecter that fit in there and the fuse itself kinda holds it snug. Quick and easy, and a random wire in my fuse panel is nothing amiss on this beast.

BTW, that is the power lead for the guage's, I ran that from one wire up to my a-piller, then inside the a-pillar it splices into '2' one for each guage. Cut one wire longer for upper guage. Repeat for the grounds.

Wow, I didn't even think of that.

I just popped the rheostat (sp?) out that control the dimming for the console and the interior lights. I pulled the rheostat apart, looked at the logic, then spliced into the line coming off of it to the instrument panel.

Granted, it only took me about 5 minutes to find it. Oh well. It works, that's all that counts, right?

Well, just to add to this. Do any of you have an aftermarket stereo?
I just put one in using one of those wiring adapters that you buy for about $8. The dimmer wire on that plug is the orange one. When I put the stereo in, I just connected another 2 feet of wire to it, and dangled it down in the dash. Now when I want to hook lights up to my gauges, it is right there.

On a side not, I replaced all of the bulbs in the HVAC controls. All six were out. Does anyone know where to get the little condoms that go over the lights for the recirc. and AC buttons? I ripped one and screamed. Then I realized it wasn't a real condom.

Well, just to add to this. Do any of you have an aftermarket stereo?
I just put one in using one of those wiring adapters that you buy for about $8. The dimmer wire on that plug is the orange one. When I put the stereo in, I just connected another 2 feet of wire to it, and dangled it down in the dash. Now when I want to hook lights up to my gauges, it is right there.

On a side not, I replaced all of the bulbs in the HVAC controls. All six were out. Does anyone know where to get the little condoms that go over the lights for the recirc. and AC buttons? I ripped one and screamed. Then I realized it wasn't a real condom.

Great idea on the stereo wire. From now on when I install a unit i'll do the same.

Back