• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fun with Ted, Todd, Bill and Paul…Resurrecting an Ultimate Rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, mine is pretty much a daily driver because I can. Sorry GM Guy, you're not getting this GM-8 any time soon. It's too pretty and polished inside and out.

Found a local source for rod bolts. Produced by Pioneer Inc, they were available to order through RPM Machine Performance Part in Cedar Valley Ut (Google map puts them about 3000' off the desert floor in the hills).... Anyway, ordered four sets. One for the 635R, two each for Ted's 6.2 projects and one additional set for him because...well just because.

Additionally, spoke with one machinist about the rod bushings and it was going to be a coordination issue with shipping and timing and a little discovery on both our parts. The machinist who does Bill's day to day work and had started this whole goose chase with his simple question, "are you going to use these 'special' bushings" finally answered his phone and press them in and hone them to the correct specs for under $100 for the whole set. Done deal.

Ordered the "Yates Bushings (still don't know the real name), Fluid Damper HB, Pulley, and Tork-Thrust #3 cam (don't need the valve springs as the ones sent back with the reconditioned heads are correct for the application (just saved some $$ honey) and discussed time tables and options with Todd.

As for turbo's, I've tried a couple of times to express my thoughts and questions but it always comes out wrong in the proof reading stage so suffice it to say, I may try a larger turbo at a later time, as Ted mentioned (I have an ATT on the shelf here that has a suspect housing) but, it will have to wait a while for when the motor is broken in and things calm down for myself and others.

1) That engine is a beauty!

2) You're not really gonna put a PURPLE spacer on that are you!!!?

4) When I'm visiting in the Woodland Park/Co Springs area I can lay down a cloud to make the prostock pullers jealous. Nothing like altitude for a great soot cloud.

5) I always enjoy these kinds of entertaining (folksy?) threads from our friend Paul...

WRT:

2) Darn tootin' I am! I spent a lot of time and $$ on that dumb thing. :thumbsup:
4) The Colorado Highway Patrolman following me on to I-70 just east of Eisenhower Tunnel didn't care for fog bank I layed down trying to get up to speed...down hill...out of a rest stop and I wasn't even trying! :hihi:
5) Thankyouverymuch:hello:

I like the direction this is going. I'm still going to see about going up to Heath's with you for a couple of days. I'm curious to know if Ted remembers meeting me or not. :D

I got your txt message earlier, but was deep into getting a 6.2 block on a crate for the drive up to Seattle. Both of the blocks are ready to go whenever you're ready.

No, he was power braking for the photo. At 9500' under full throttle it smoked pretty good but, just about any diesel would do the same at that altitude.

Now that is the lucky of the Irish, have you been kissing the "Blarney Stone" to get the gift of the gab or have you been talking to the "Leprechauns"....

Power braking my butt "U2" where going to leave me behind..... :agreed:

Attachments

• Blarney Stone.bmp
    21.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Leprechaun.bmp
    13.6 KB · Views: 8
Now that is the lucky of the Irish, have you been kissing the "Blarney Stone" to get the gift of the gab or have you been talking to the "Leprechauns"....

Power braking my butt "U2" where going to leave me behind..... :agreed:
Isn't this where somebody breaks in and says "shut up Limey!" ?

:hihi:

Actually, it was smoking so much because Sunshine was loading up sand from the Pink Coral Sand Dunes (in the back ground) and we were so loaded down....Darn souvenir hunters and that was half way through the first day, you should have seen him at the Grand Canyon....

Isn't this where somebody breaks in and says "shut up Limey!" ?

I had better reply to this one.

'How you doing back there Limey,' was the usual question and a "Who cares?", was my reply before he could even say how he was! But I was kind to him, I let him ride inside the truck. Except when we were in the middle of a herd of Buffalo.

Yes he was gatherer of everything. His Viking said no more 'T' Shirts too!

But I did ask this question a few times, "How long does it take to look at a hole in the ground?"

And I did an even better smoke out of Limey at Devil's Tower!

Ya have to understand, Sunshine kept trying to put stuff in the back that we knew wouldn't make it through customs, let alone fit in his luggage.
Like when we got to Chimney Rock...
DSC00346.jpg

The Park Rangers at Rushmore were almost as upset with him as the Security at Crazy Horse monument....

As for Devil's tower, well that's Ted's "Green" truck for ya. He was just trying to reenact the original volcano eruption.
CIMG1447.jpg

With the 225/75 I first had on the 19.5 wheels the mileage did go up.

BUT, I had too much wheel well showing and decided to get the 265 tires. Then the mileage went down. Too much rolling weight. Then I added a bunch of mileage maker stuff and it went back up. WMI and Propane.

how is it routed around the fuel tank and who made it up for you?

I have the Heath 4 inch exhaust but I have always likes dual exhaust, a single looks lop sided. At the back of the muffler I took the 4 inch tail pipe off. I then took the 4 inch muffler off. I had ordered a 4 inch 'Y' pipe. I had an exhaust shop weld the 'Y' pipe on the back of the muffler and then the exhaust shop did up the rest. Had to do a little fab work around the original tailpipe but it is on there and does work. Also there is no spare tire under the rear either, more room for the exhaust system.

This exhaust in not anywhere near the fuel tank.

I don't understand why diesel depot is like that. I've heard of these problems before out of them.

I contacted them back in November through email about rebuilding my 6.2, he said he'd love to help. I wanted him to ceramic coat my pistons and heads, rebuild my heads and probably balance the bottom end. I wasn't even going to shop around for a better price.

The guy will not call or email me back. I've sent multiple follow up emails and called multiple times, his business doesn't even have an answering machine.

It amazes me how someone like this can stay in business.

The guy will not call or email me back. I've sent multiple follow up emails and called multiple times, his business doesn't even have an answering machine.

It amazes me how someone like this can stay in business.
Sooner or later it catches up and they close the doors. Usually that happens after they see they've been found out and the word is spreading. Faster in today's internet world.

Yesterday after doing the V.A. boogie all morning I shot over to Orion's and we loaded up the engine blocks and associated parts and got them all over here to the house. News for those curious, a 2 ton capacity cherry picker is a heavy $%^& to load in and out of a truck a couple of times and I get to do it again when it's time to take it all up to Bill's.

Today I sent the ARP studs and Pioneer Rod Bolts on to Todd. I ordered the rod bolts on Monday and they came UPS today which was certainly a lot faster than I had anticipated.

Todd informed me that the shipping of the rod bushings from the supplier may lengthen the time line on completing the motor. Rats! Oh well, good things come to those who wait I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back