• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel system upgrade questions

Darkrider

Lobo Solitario
Reaction score
Ok as I have mentioned before my Sierra has the ftb partially done to it already. I just need to change the outlet fitting on my 6.2 ffm and the inlet on my injection pump to finish that up. Now I am considering ordering the following parts from leroy to finish the fuel system:

Walbro lift pump
Lift pump bypass
Metirum fuel sending unit (spelling?)

Now the question I have is this do I need to mount the lp on the chassis or is there somewhere under hood I can mount it? either way..when I do the changes I plan on mounting a pre lp filter in the original location, I have a filter head from a vw golf that uses 3/8" line like what is going into my ffm. The main reason I want to relocate the pump to the engine bay is to protect it from damage during offroad driving.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

I think the LP is best left in the stock location, they push better than they pull. They are tucked in the frame rail so are protected somewhat.

They are tucked in there nice. When I went with my Walbro I used a piece of horse trailer mat, about 1/4" thick, in between the pump and my mounting plate to dampen any vibrations. I'm not sure it is necessary but it made me feel better :)

Where you thinking of keeping the original pump the feed the new one?
I had this though as well because the original pump will flow even if it is now working and I don't think it would restrict flow
I would go:

From Tank to Original to 10micron filter to Walbro to 5Micron to Original Filter Housing. with the Walbro under the hood
any feed back on this??

Thanks

I'm planning to move away from the oem lift pump and get the walbro pump. I plan to pre-lp filter, walbro lp, another perhaps 10 micron filter and then straight to the IP. No need for the stock ffm. Wouldn't this work or should I keep the stock ffm so the fuel can be pre-heated before it reaches the IP?

Does your fuel heater even work?

I did away with mine when I upgraded the fuel system, but I am in TX. Even in Boston it doesn't get to extreme temperatures where gelling could occur, right?

In all honesty...I don't think the fuel heater is really needed, even in a place like Boston. The diesel gets additives in the colder months to keep from gelling. Although diesel does burn better when its warm.

I really doubt a fuel heater is effective given the amount of time fuel spends in it. You may be better off installing a tank fuel heater running 110 volts with a 12 volt option. In looking at hot water on demand systems. Yep they deliver hot water but it's needing a big line to allow enough natural gas through. That is advice I was given when the hot water tank in the house went. They said I'd need to upgrade the line from the street.

the wax crystal that form when fuel gells plugs the filter first thus the reason for the fuel heater in the FFM. even tho the fuels are blended you might get an occasional cold snap that would cause issues that the stations didn't anticipate

I live 20 miles North of Boston and have used Summer fuel, all year, for 3 straight years now. I just add the right amount of Power Service and I haven't gotten gelling yet.

I don't think gelling is that big of an issue as it will not get that cold. Also, I don't drive the truck everyday so it's not a big deal. I'm planning to replace the stock ffm as part of my FTB mod.

Back