• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel Sending Unit and fuel leak

fonecop1

Reaction score
I believe my sending unit is bad because my fuel gauge needle is interfering with my oil pressure gauge, it has been reading wrong for a long time. Well now I have some added incentive to fix it because it is leaking $4 per gallon diesel from what appears to be coming from where the lines connect to the tank. It seems that it only leaks when it's toward the fuller side because if I leave it sit it won't be leaking after several days, I just don't know how much is in it because the gauge don't work. Where is the best place to get the parts I need to fix it?
Thanks,
Bob

I believe my sending unit is bad because my fuel gauge needle is interfering with my oil pressure gauge, it has been reading wrong for a long time. Well now I have some added incentive to fix it because it is leaking $4 per gallon diesel from what appears to be coming from where the lines connect to the tank. It seems that it only leaks when it's toward the fuller side because if I leave it sit it won't be leaking after several days, I just don't know how much is in it because the gauge don't work. Where is the best place to get the parts I need to fix it?
Thanks,
Bob

iirc one of the sponsors has an improved one.

You'll need to call him and discuss the FSU w/Metrum Rod wrt type of fuel tank (capacity) and such. I have modified my OEM FSU unit with the Metrum Rod to send the fuel level signal to the gauge.

I have one and it works great. I got an after market fsu and my baffle kept knocking it lose causing problems. I finally took a 1" piece of 5/16 fuel line and put it on the 3 studs and put hose clamps on it. I then put the metrium fsu on and have not had a single issue.

has anybody used the one from pmdcable.com?

I do have them in stock, but build them as ordered. Paul and I went round and round on his, sent him three different ones. He has the 24 gallon tank and even though it calls for the same sending unit as the 34 gallon tanks he wound up needing a custom length MRFSU. Thanks for hanging in there Paul. He did alot of R&D for me to use on the 24 gallon tanks as I did not have one to look at, SO if yours is 24 gallon call me first, but all others are working great.

ME? I appreciate your patience and hanging in there. I wouldn't have blamed you for call blocking my number :hihi:

I think the OP wants the whole sending unit and not just the rod though so I'm glad you're making them as a complete now.
http://www.pmdcable.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=19

Guys, no real issue with the rod and how it measures as it is balls on in relation to the float and where it sits on the rod. The 12.5 inch rod just wasn't suspended low enough in the tank and a longer unit was needed so that empty on the float is closer to empty on the gauge. Before I was at 1/8 tank indicated with 11 of 26 gal remaining.... So, get the measurement of how deep your tank is by measuring inside (FSU hole to baffle) and then order.

Mine is a 95 and it is in the low 20's not sure if it's a 22 or 24 though? I figure in 95 they were probably making one or the other as the standard tank and that is what I have.

Mine is a 95 and it is in the low 20's not sure if it's a 22 or 24 though? I figure in 95 they were probably making one or the other as the standard tank and that is what I have.

Check the RPO Codes in the glove box against an on line listing. I had to google it.
LMC lists only a couple of tanks; 25 and 24. Mine will take 27 to fill if bone dry empty from dropping to clean.

All short beds are typicaly 24 and long beds 34. Suburbans 43.

I only make the FSU part not the complete pick up assy.

All short beds are typicaly 24 and long beds 34. Suburbans 43.

I only make the FSU part not the complete pick up assy.

I haven't taken it apart yet so can you explain for someone that doesn't really know what they are dealing with?

I wasn't sure about the FSU vs pickup assembly. So can the pickup assembly from my old one connect to your metrium rod setup? Sorry to be dumb about it but I haven't taken it apart yet. Basically I have a fuel leak back there and figured it is either a rubber hose where it connects or a hard line where it comes out of the tank rusted through. In addition to that my fuel gauge has been bad for a long time and is going crazy with the needle hitting my oil pressure needle so I wanted to fix that while I'm fixing the leak. I would like to have on hand whatever I may need to fix the leak and the gauge when it gets tore apart so it can go right back together. My son works at a shop and can sometimes do some work up there on his day off but couldn't leave it there for days tore apart. Also it is a shortbed. The website mentions instructions but I couldn't find anything to click on to get them, although it could be right there in front of me but I can't see it.

i thought it was the right time.

Sent from my work computer using a keyboard.

So if I buy the Metrium Rod setup off of the website do I just get the rod with the float on it and adapt it to the existing piece that clocks into the top of the tank or do I get the whole thing like it appears on the website? Sorry guys I'm just about ready to tear it apart and if I do that I'll probably go for whatever fix is quick and available at the time with or without a working gauge, at least if I fix the leak I can top it off and not have $4 a gallon diesel leaking out on the ground.

......................do I just get the rod with the float on it and adapt it to the existing piece that clocks into the top of the tank or do I get the whole thing like it appears on the website?.....................
...........................You reuse your pickup. Its a good time to remove the sock and install a pre LP 30 micron filter.

it will need to be adapted. You reuse your pickup.

Back