• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel pressure relief valve

CBCS

Country Boy Can Survive!!
Reaction score
Does anyone know where i can get an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator? Dealer wants 300 for the part and another 250 to put it on. Or will a PPE shim kit solve my problems?

All depends on if that is really your problem or not. What is the truck doing that makes you think that is the problem?

I took it to the dealer and they said that the fuel pressure was dropping under load. The relief valve was opening too soon not giving the rail enough pressure and causing it to go into limp mode. They wanted to change the relief valve and reprogram the computer. They also said there were 7 old codes on it that never set off SEC. Its got 110k so its out of warranty. Is the fuel pressure regulator and the relief valve the same thing. I found regulators online and napa and such but cant seem to find anything that says relief valve.

The first thing I think you should do is get the computer reflashed...then it should throw some codes. That would help a lot to determine what's going on.

What is your truck doing exactly at this point? Lumpy idle? Could be the FPR (fuel pressure regulator). If you lose power under load it could be the FPRV (fuel pressure relief valve).

It wouldn't be a bad idea to do the PPE Race valve and shim kit....a total of $60. http://www.pacificp.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_7

The thing is...if you're only running level 1 on the edge, you shouldn't be needing any fuel mods (shim/valve). Guys usually only have problems with large tunes.

You don't need to do the race valve and shim kit because the race valve is just a plug. So if you want some safety then shim the valve if your not worried about it put the race valve in, they do work so if it was me I would put the race valve in and be done with it.

Yeah i think ill just put the race valve in and be done with it. Have the dealer update the computer for the rough idle bulletin and should be good to go.

Is the fuel pressure regulator and the relief valve the same thing. I found regulators online and napa and such but cant seem to find anything that says relief valve.

The regulator is on the pump and generally either works fine or lopes/surges.

A simple shim will increase the relief valve dump point, but typically it's a flow deficiency that beats up on the valve so I might suggest adding some "push" on the fuel in the form of a lift pump.

The regulator is on the pump and generally either works fine or lopes/surges.

A simple shim will increase the relief valve dump point, but typically it's a flow deficiency that beats up on the valve so I might suggest adding some "push" on the fuel in the form of a lift pump.
And what causes this, lack of pressure or too much? Mine idles along fine, then all of a sudden it will surge up, a real quick blast then back to normal. It used to only do it every so often, but it's pretty frequent now. Probably once every 30 seconds or so.

And what causes this, lack of pressure or too much? Mine idles along fine, then all of a sudden it will surge up, a real quick blast then back to normal. It used to only do it every so often, but it's pretty frequent now. Probably once every 30 seconds or so.

Not enough followed by too much either when you lift the pedal or it goes into limp. Essentially, the pump is struggling to get the fuel, then overacheives for whatever reason causing pressure cycling. If you had a Edge, this is a common cause. Also if you have jacked up the psi in your tuning.

That surge up sounds like your regulator could be bad, but my best advice here is to program back to stock and see what happens.

Having the DTC numbers would be a big help in diagnosis.

Back