• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel leak

nosliw

Recruit
Reaction score
well my truck is leaking fuel.

the fuel-tank skidplate is wet, starting in the middle and up towards the front the truck. i took it off and it's wet on on top, plus the fuel tank itself is wet. i just wiped it clean, it's not wet on the driver side, but looks to be coming from the passenger side. of course there is a heatshield that doesn't look like it comes off easy on that side.

is there a common place it would leak fuel from? the filler neck looks dry (as far as the part i can see anyway)

truck has around 45,000 miles on it. i just fill it up not that long ago, something like 1.5 miles on this tank.

NOW, the ground underneath the truck is wet, like a 8 foot smear that looks like motor oil, and smells like fuel. if it was fuel that ran towards the front of the truck (sloped) i could understand, but why oil? nothing is visibly wet and the oil level isn't down.

looks like the powershop might be getting some business :nopity:

got the bed disconnected, just waiting on some strong hands tomorrow to help me lift it onto some sawhorses.

we'll see!

oh boy!

dsc01439zp0.jpg

dsc01445is0.jpg

any ideas on getting that off there? i'm assuming the gasket under there is leaking? is that a little pressure-release valve? the one with no hose to it.

As for the oilly look, I'd say it might be the fuel washing the coating off of your frame.

As for getting the fuel pickup out, I'd go try to download a set of instructions for a transferflow or titan aftermarket fuel tank.

i cleaned it all off and dried it up. just waiting for it to seep out now.

good idea on the titan instructions! i'll go do that now.

if the sender is leaking you need the tank full to see it leak, as far as removing the sender, remove one electrical plug,the vent line with the hose clamp,the other 2 lines you need a release tool that slips in and expands a retaining ring to get them off. sears has a cheap plastic set for around 10 bucks with like 6 different sizes,they are used on ac and fuel lines.then just tap the retaining ring with a screwdriver and hammer to unlock it. Large o-ring type seal under the sender plate.Make sure you get the sender positioned back the same way or the float will hit the side of the tank and stick.If you're that far you may as well open the wallet and pit in a larger titan or trans flow tank.

Any update,what did you wind up doing ?

on a side note everybody look at the first picture nosliw posted,what is that flat plate inboard of the tank that is pointed at the end with a pin pointing up for,anybody know what its for. I saw it when I put in my titan tank and was curius what it was there for.

Back