• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel inj. ?/ problem?

robzombie4551

robzombie4551
Reaction score
I'm in virgina on vacation and leave for home tomorrow.
I' m having a problem with the inj. leaking at the nipples and have no hose to replace it.

My question is will I burn up the injectors on that side of the motor if I put 350 miles on them with that hose on that side of the motor plugged off.

I have it plugged now and have no leaks, but was wondering what if any damage will/could be done.

To be more clear I'm talking about the hose that go from one inj. to another and is capped off on the last one on each bank.

I've already had enough problems, left my spare tire at home and had the tread come off a tire with less than 15,000 miles on it and had to limp off the highway to buy another one.

Fan clutch wasn't working right and nearly over heated.

I don't need to ruin my new engine over something stupid.

Thanks for any help that comes my way.

I don't know about running with a leaking or plugged off hose. I do know I would be tempted to try.

Is it a hose, a cap, or a clamp?

You can sub in a clamp with wire or small zip tie.

If it is one of the small hoses, and it is old and cracked AND you have enough length to make a small repair; you could try removing the hose, snipping off a quarter inch and put it back on and then use a small piece of wire (twist tie technique) or mini zip tie to 'clamp' it in place. If the hose is one of the non clamp types, then the repair is all the easier.

Someone on here or the place actually uses clear hose between the injectors and if you can locate some at an auto or Home Depot/Lowes store that could be substituted in. If heat is an issue, get put some wire loom around it to help shield it or swap one from the cyl 1 and 3 and put the clear one there.

Hardest part is getting back in there if it is the passenger side unit leaking at the fire wall.

Hope this helps.

It's the hose on the pass side right in the middle and it was laying on the exh man. and burned a hole right in the middle.

I guess I'll try a vacum hose fitting and join it back as it's to short to snip the bad part out.

advance had nothing as far as hose to use.

I was just wondering if it has to be used as I have it plugged at the feed line so right now none of the injs. on the pass. side are getting that fuel from the hoses.

Just don't want them to overheat or whatever the purpose is for them to ruin my inj./motor.

Thanks for the help Pav.

I agree with samguy ... what you're looking for is injector fuel return line, which any dealer should have, or any place that sells injectors (pep boys, napa, etc)

Viton hose will work fine. Plain old rubber hose will work in a pinch - like windshield washer hose - but you want that excess fuel collected and returned to the tank, not running around on your manifolds, staring you on fire!

I have the feeling if you try to plug it for long, it will pop off. Much better to replace the hose, even if with rubber or teflon tubing

Those hoses collect fuel from the injection event... not much at a time, but the pressure will build, as I said. I think you would be much better off replacing the hose with something.

Is there an outdoor power equipment store there (lawnmowers, chainsaws....ect) they should have the clear Tygon (sp?) hose that is perfect. Its clear, rated for fuel and temps.

Happy to help. Too bad I'm not in Fayetteville anymore, it would be great to be able to help more. Middle huh, that's the luck isn't it but par for the 'vacation' you've had so far.

You can still swap in a 'normal' unit cannibalized from the driver's side and use a substitute in that one's place if you have to get creative. Regardless, be sure to route and secure that hose off the manifold with something. One of my biggest concerns when swapping out turbo's or injectors.

Safe journey home tomorrow. I-95? If so I don't envy you the trip.

I know what you say is true, but how come I have no leak now.

I plugged the metal line that connects both driver and pass. side and the inj. hoses are not plugged.

Unless the fuel is coming from the driver side and pushing it out on the pass. side when I don't have the line plugged.

Safe journey home tomorrow. I-95? If so I don't envy you the trip.

I 77 to I 20.

Charlseton is the worst part other than climbing the fancy gap grade.

Thanks again and yes I hope it's a safe and uneventful trip back.

I come here every year and every year it's something. Last year the roof of the camper came apart on the highway and that was no fun.

Anyway thanks again got to get up early and check out for the ride home and find some hose.

Is there an outdoor power equipment store there (lawnmowers, chainsaws....ect) they should have the clear Tygon (sp?) hose that is perfect. Its clear, rated for fuel and temps.

I will look for the first place I can find before getting on the highway.

I will take a hose from the driver side so I won't burn myself trying to put one on the pass. side when I get one.

It gets really hot in there between the turbo and the manifold.

Thanks burning oil

I know what you say is true, but how come I have no leak now.

I plugged the metal line that connects both driver and pass. side and the inj. hoses are not plugged.

Unless the fuel is coming from the driver side and pushing it out on the pass. side when I don't have the line plugged.

Because of the nature of our injectors.. they work like little pop valves... the pressure builds up behind the orfice, they 'pop' open for a second, then snap shut when (most of) the fuel has been squirted in. What's left returns through the return lines (figures). Very little is NOT injected, but it is a finite volume, and it happens every time the injector squirts, and more when you are pushing larger amounts of fuel (not at idle).

It will build up if it has no place to go.

The return line system has very little pressure on it, the fuel flows back to the collector, then back to the tank. Extra fuel left from the IP goes with it.

Like I said, you might be able to get away with plugging it off, but I wouldn't. I really like the idea of swapping a chunk from the driver's side, IF you can easily get one off... and then replacing a piece of the driver's side tubing.

Remember, Tygon or Viton is best, but you can use any old tubing that fits... in the short term. Cut some off your windshield washer line if you have to.

Thanks JIFAIRE.

I have new hoses at home and will use ww/hose if I can't find better, till I get home.

I don't even have 5,000 miles on this ted's motor yet, and would hate to ruin it. It runs like ten good men and I want to keep it that way.

Back