• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel Heater Question

As this hasn't been answered my guess is if you apply power to it it would run continuously. I don't know if it would burn out.

I believe it is set up to maintain about 140* F

On second thought the thermostat is likely in the heater element so maybe it can't.

If you can disable the Tstat, maybe.
You could make a hose in hose heat real cheap. you can valve it so no heat when running diesel only. I have a picture if needed.

According to alldatadiy ....

" The fuel heater operates when the temperature of fuel at the inlet of the filter housing is cold enough to possibly cause waxing that could restrict flow to the injection pump. A control circuit inside the fuel heater completes the circuit for the heater element when it senses a temperature below 8°C (46°F). "

I think its called a thermistor??? when over 46F the resistance is really high simulating an open. When the temp drops below 46F the resistance drops and the circuit flows amps to heat the fuel. So I don't know if there is an easy way to trick it. Its not PCM driven I don't believe.

I think you want to heat your WVO hotter than that. And The wattage of the heater is basically to protect from waxing not get the fuel really warm. I THINK optimal No. 2 Diesel fuel temp delivered to the IP is about 70F or 78F (which I think is what temp viscosity they bench calibrate it).

Now the fuel will warm in the IP and a typical IP fuel temp at the optic sensor is I believe 160F ish iirc.

orrum, what is being said, the heater won't get your fuel hot enough, even if you get it to stay on all the time. i know you don't really need it that much in summer but winter is your best bet. why not rig up a threaded pipe 'tee', screw in a glow plug to upper port, reduce the flow through ports to 3/8" pipe, hook your fuel line to it w/ a relay and toggle. think they call them hot shot heaters. used mostly in svo but not the super fuel formula.

Gets to hot for my blend with a glow plug wvo heater, they r easy to make, u use a metal tee for the glow plug. My blend is the same viscosity of cold diesel, I just need a very little heat so the IP isnt gulping strictly cold wvo and after its run for a minute there will be all kinds of heat. My blend does not gel, I ran it in the Mercedes last winter with no heat and no problem in the low 20s with who knows what windchill.. Too much heat hitting the cold IP will cause the IP to seize and shear the drive shaft. Stanadyne designed it that way to prevent damage supposidly there is a real thin spot in the shaft.

Thanks Schiker thats the kind of info I been looking for. My blend has regular gas and k-1 and Power service in it so its pretty thin, I dont need to thin it much. Gotta be a way to fool it. I could put a resistance wire heater on the Wix FFM I just installed but its too far from the IP. Thats what I use on the Mercedes. The spin on for the Mercedes is only 8 inches or so from the IP. The GM stock FFM being in the back of the engine valley right behind the IP is perfect. My injector lines are so hot once warmed up u cant hold a finger on them. By warmed up I mean way before the temp gauge gets moving. I might be fixing to ruin my IP but this engine has a lot of things going for it to be a succsessful wvo setup with very little changes. I be putting the wvo in 2moro and we see but really need a answer to a little heat befor it gets frosty.

Thanks again , yall keep thinking!

Back