• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel gauge replacement?

Bigburban

Reaction score
My fuel gauge has gone crazy! Not the sending unit or the grounds just put a new tank and sender on it. Can the gauge itself be replaced? I found a complete cluster but miles are off how do you change out the odometer between the old and new one or can you do that?

Did you clean the ground on the frame rail driver's side rear? That should be the ground for the sender. The ones I've had do that, it is the sender ground that is bad.The ground straps to the frame, under the heater-A/C box could do it also.
Yes, just the gauge unit can be replaced. One from a gasser should be the same.

BK I cleaned all the grounds for the sender when I replaced the tank and sender. I put a new end connection on the ground as well and cleaned where it bolts to the crossmember. Any other grounds?

Leroy the needle went all exorcist on me and spun in circles and even got stuck on the oil pressure gauge at one point, now all it does is sway back and forth waving at me anytime I stop or move the burb any direction.

Since I removed the connector and used a butt splice on the connection behind the glove box with the 2 wires, black and red, my gauge didn't do the exorcist:rof: The connector may look fine but can be fried inside. That black wire is the ground for the whole cluster and HVAC. The connector is undersized and a heater fan motor that draws too much will melt it.

BK went out and checked that connection and no signs of burnt or bad connection. How hard is it to replace the fuel gauge? Can I just replace the odometer easier when I get the used gauge cluster?

I'll grab a cluster and see. I've never messed with the odometer on these.

BK let me know. Woody35 How do you roll it? I need to go foward with the miles because the cluster I found has less miles than mine.

Gauge replacement with the cluster out 95-99

I had a cluster laying loose so I opened it up to see how it works. The clear cover lens is held on by the cluster mounting screws. The shroud is held on by a couple latch tabs.
IMG_2434_4.JPG

Then the gauge face comes off the cluster back by prying on the top and bottom in the center. Once the face is loose there is a cable that connects to a circuit board in the back. Unplug that and the face is free. Pry the needle off the offending gauge.IMG_2435_5.JPG
the gauge motor-movement is held on with 2-T7 torx screws. Replace motor/movement , put the needle back on and shroud.
The whole odometer-trip odometer can be removed with 4 T10 torx screws
IMG_2436_6.JPG IMG_2437_7.JPGIMG_2440_10.JPG
This is the same with any of the gauges including the speedometer and tach

Before I went to all that I would confirm your FSU is actualy good. See if a local auto parts will let you temp plug in a new FSU (maybe the place you got it from) Unplug it at the frame rail then plug in the new one. With key on raise and lower the float while someone watches the gauge.
The new FSU's are junk and fail regularly.

If you already have the replacement cluster, first try to justbpop it in and see if the fuel gauge works on it. That should at least tell you that there is no problem with the sending unit or the grounds.

BK Great info!!:thumbsup: They should save that in the tech library for sure. Thanks for posting that with pics!
Konstan I haven't ordered it yet was looking at options first.
Leroy I will give that a try.

BK Great info!!:thumbsup: They should save that in the tech library for sure. Thanks for posting that with pics!
Konstan I haven't ordered it yet was looking at options first.
Leroy I will give that a try.
:hihi: I needed the pics for myself to remember how it goes back together:???::???::D

I've got a question for you Barry, or anybody else for that matter. This is a slight hijack, but it is still about the gauge cluster.

I have a 94 so the cluster will be laid out a bit differently but I'm thinking the info needed will crossover to the newer clusters. The trip meter is very dimly lit and hard to see at night. As I remember it the bulbs lighting the dash are not close to the trip meter, but there are some other "things", apparently non-removable, in the back of the cluster that I was wondering about. I was wondering if they were some kind of additional lighting? Or maybe it is how the power is transfered through to the individual gauge. It's been several months since I had the cluster out to look at it so my memory has faded some.

Although this is not a 95 or newer cluster as the OP is asking about, I'm thinking the pics will give others an idea that the newer printed circuits will look similar to this. Anyhow, here's some pics of the printed circuit side of a 94 dash cluster. The first is the printed circuit. The second, though rather fuzzy, shows the pen tip pointing to the "things" that I was wondering about. Since this was my only cluster I didn't take any chances on messing up the cluster. I was wondering what these items were and if they could be removed without damaging them or the printed circuit.

Although this isn't directly about the OP gas gauge problem I'm hoping these pics and any resulting info will add to this thread.

If not, my apologies and this post can be deleted.

Don

Attachments

• IMGP1251.jpg
    IMGP1251.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMGP1257.jpg
    IMGP1257.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 6
A lot of times the bulbs turn dark colored and don't light as good as they should. New bulbs-sockets may make it much better. 1 bulb being dark or not working can darken a big area of the cluster. It may be possible to get a higher watt bulb or LED conversion that fits. Too much draw could fry the printed circuit or main connector. I've seen the LED conversions in a thread here or at the place. I have no idea where to buy them.

Handcannon its all good! I have heard about the LED lights and will be changing mine when I get the gauge cluster I got on order. Found a gauge cluster for $55.00 on ebay. LED's use less power and are alot brighter. Would love to find some red or blue LED light's.

Back