• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

fuel filter

The best way to change the fuel filter will vary on who you ask. You either go in from the top or remove the fender well liner. I personally go in from the fender well, I find it easier to push up on the filter when installing the new one. A couple key things to remember is to make sure when you remove the old filter all the O rings (2) and the middle grommet come out. During the reinstall I coat all the seals with diesel fuel. When reinstalling the WIF sensor a key thing is not to over tighten it. If you turn it in by hand once the O ring touches the filter only turn it 180°. This is enough to make it seal. Two things I would not suggest in the video are adding diesel to the filter and removing the bleeder screw all the way.

http://youtu.be/kUS6D564Xy4

You can either Pull the Pass Side Battery and do it from Up Top, or Pull the Pass Side Wheel Well Liner and go from Underneath.

Depending on what kind of Mood I'm in on Filter Day, Determines what way I Change it.

Both ways are about the same Level of Work IMO.

thanks guys this has been A LOT of help im new to my chevy but i have spent the last 18 months around diesels in afghanistan so im no stranger to them, im sure i will have plenty more questions and i thank all of you for your support and everything you guys have helped me with yet

I'm just 5' 8" and I stand on a milk crate, pull the intake hose and change it just as it is from the top. The only mod I did is to bend the one AC line that is in the way about 3/8" so I can get the filter out. A pivoting handle filter wrench and WIF sensor wrench are all the tools I need. About a 10 min job once you get used to it.
Welcome to The Truck Stop!

I'm just 5' 8" and I stand on a milk crate, pull the intake hose and change it just as it is from the top. The only mod I did is to bend the one AC line that is in the way about 3/8" so I can get the filter out. A pivoting handle filter wrench and WIF sensor wrench are all the tools I need. About a 10 min job once you get used to it.
Welcome to The Truck Stop!

I do it the same way and I put a spacer in between the filter housing mount and the engine, easy now !

I used this for my first filter change and had good luck with it. It is one of many ways to change the filter. The info that Bill provide along with the other advice by members will get you through it. It is a piece of cake. :thumbsup:

Changing Fuel Filter From Top

1. Disconnect both batteries [Not Mandatory]. I don’t.
2. Remove passenger side battery from truck, set it next to right front tire and use it for a step [Not Mandatory] I don’t. Remove the plastic Air Intake hose.
3. Reach in and disconnect water in fuel light wiring.
4. Using a rubber or Nylon strap filter wrench, unscrew filter.
5. Remove water in fuel sender.
6. Reinstall water in fuel sender in new filter using new o-ring [Lube with a drop of engine oil]. Be careful not to over tighten, as it is plastic.
7. Slip new filter assembly down next to battery tray and install using a new large o-ring [Lube with a drop of engine oil]. Be sure that you have all "old" o-rings removed.
8. Tighten new fuel filter using filter strap wrench.
9. Reinstall water in fuel wiring.
10. Reinstall battery and reconnect cables. Reinstall air intake tube.
11. Remove or loosen plastic bleeder screw in top of fuel filter housing.
12. Push down on filter pump several times to prime the fuel filter until fuel comes out of bleeder hole and tighten plastic bleeder screw.
13. Pour water on filter housing to get rid of any spilled diesel.
14. Start engine and check for leaks. If engine stalls, repeat step 12 until engine primes itself.

I always went in from the fender well. I thought that was a ton easier.

anyone knw how to reset the dash reading for the fuel filter i tried leaving the batteries disconnected for a few hours but that didnt seem to cut it

anyone knw how to reset the dash reading for the fuel filter i tried leaving the batteries disconnected for a few hours but that didnt seem to cut it

Give this a shot.

If you don't have steering wheel buttons, turn the key off, then back on for 5 seconds, then hold both the brake and gas pedals down for 10 seconds and it should reset the DIC.

Let us know if that works....

i went from the top, i had to take off the intake hose to make things easier, but all in all it was fairly easy the only issue i had was the large gasket didnt want to go in the grove so it took 2 times of putting on the filter but all in all it worked out for the better i have been learning a lot about working on my truck since i got back from afghanistan and i wanna thank you all for your help

The O ring can be a PITA because of the way it is sometimes packaged. I always tried to pull it out in advance and lay it on the bench with something flat on top of it to get it to regain it's proper shape.

The O ring can be a PITA because of the way it is sometimes packaged. I always tried to pull it out in advance and lay it on the bench with something flat on top of it to get it to regain it's proper shape.

I stick it in place with some white lube.

i went from the top, i had to take off the intake hose to make things easier, but all in all it was fairly easy the only issue i had was the large gasket didnt want to go in the grove so it took 2 times of putting on the filter but all in all it worked out for the better i have been learning a lot about working on my truck since i got back from afghanistan and i wanna thank you all for your help

Glad to hear that you made out OK. :thumbsup: You just saved yourself a lot of money instead of giving it to the dealership! Plus you took good care of your truck.
Treat it well, and it will pay you back tenfold! ;) Do you have the diesel supplement manual that came with your truck? If not, PM me with an e-mail address and I will get it to you.

Back