• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel filter with about 5-7k on it...

schulte

ACCELLERANT!!!
Reaction score
Don't know exactly how many miles this has on it, but I know it's less than 7,000... pretty nasty looking. Also, clearly some water in the fuel! Truck was just starting to bog down a little if I punched it hard...

Attachments

• ff element.jpg
    ff element.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 12
  • FF inside.jpg
    FF inside.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 10
I would have like to of cut mine open at 13,217 miles, but I was lazy and had the dealer to change it since the weather has been bad and I feel like death warmed over. My truck showed no signs of any problems concerning get up and go. I pulled the hunting camper back on Saturday and it pulled like a champ. I don't know is using Stanadyne on a regular basis has helped, but I have run other fuel filters up to 10 and 11 thousand miles with no issues. I guess I have been lucky.

You need to add a better fuel filter if this keeps up. Or change where you are getting your fuel from. 15K filter life is average on my 2008 and only severely contaminated fuel caused me to bog, reduced power DIC / low fuel rail pressure code, and require an early filter change.

That's a lot of junk for that many miles.

Where do you buy your fuel?

Mike, you really need to change something. That is not a good looking filter after so few miles. I run either BP or Mobil fuel and add Power Service to each tank. White bottle in the winter and gray in the summer. He are pictures of my last fuel filter. It has 10K on it and I average 17.5 MPG.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Pic 4 Old TP1298B (Large).jpg
    Pic 4 Old TP1298B (Large).jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Pic 5 Old TP1298B (Large).jpg
    Pic 5 Old TP1298B (Large).jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 41
only severely contaminated fuel caused me to bog, reduced power DIC / low fuel rail pressure code, and require an early filter change.
Huge difference with winter blend fuel and what you run in AZ, not to mention the air temps. These trucks will stumble, bog, and throw a code or 2 instantly (and go into limp) if you nail it when the intake temp is +10* or lower.

Mike, you really need to change something. That is not a good looking filter after so few miles. I run either BP or Mobil fuel and add Power Service to each tank. White bottle in the winter and gray in the summer. He are pictures of my last fuel filter. It has 10K on it and I average 17.5 MPG.

Wow that's clean. I buy fuel all over the place because I regularly commute to Hartford, Storrs, Old Saybrook, etc... All over the place. There's probably 12-15 stations I regularly buy fuel from, depending on where I am when I need it and who's cheapest.

I'm getting about 20-21mpg (about 1mpg less on avg. than in summer, partly because of the fuel I'm sure but also because I let my truck idle a LOT more in the winter), but that's also with adding 2stroke oil and sometimes ATF or hydraulic (all new, unused; whatever's cheapest or extra), which might account for some of the black color but not that much.

I wonder where the water's coming from. The wire on my WIF sensor is broken at the base, and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $70-something for a new one. Unfortunately, it's too short to solder.

I wonder where the water's coming from. The wire on my WIF sensor is broken at the base, and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $70-something for a new one. Unfortunately, it's too short to solder.
The WIF sensor doesn't do anything until you have enough in there to stall the motor anyhow.

Back