• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel Filter location Question

4thesporty

Reaction score
Just a question on this subject...

Does the fuel filter, be it FFM, or aftermarket need to be in or around the engine compartment?

If I wanted to put in down low near my lift pump, would that be OK?

Some trucks have it located farther from the IP than ours so its ok but keep in mind the more hose that is between the filter and the IP allows deteriorating hose to enter the IP. I suspect this - helped - (wasn't the major reason) cause problems with older trucks that all of a sudden started running bio blended fuel. It deterioated fuel line between the filter and the IP. And or allowed build up down stream of the filter get to the IP.

I think for best performance the final filter should be located as close to the IP as practical. I suspect GM located it in the rear "V" of the engine on purpose to help keep it warm and help prevent gelling. This is good for cold climate trucks but not really necessary for warm climate trucks.

me too. it would also be a little awkward to change, also with priming, cleaning out the gunk, keeping dirt from falling in with cap off. i relocated mine to the fender with homemade brackets and extended wiring. real easy to see a leak and change filter/bleed off moisture.

Deejaaa I am gettin ready to put my extra filter somewhere on the fender and I would sure appreciate a pic to see how u did urs!

Just for clarification, I don't plan on running the stock FFM down there, it would be an aftemarket WIX or maybe Racor spin on filter.

So, the only problem is the long run of fuel line? How about using viton, or similar wrapped in stainless? I don't run any kind of bio blends or anything, just #2 ULSD and two stroke. I also have a switch on the LP relay for priming, and some of the aftermarket filters come with a hand primer as well.

See PMDCABLE, Leroy a member here is also a supporting member and I just got a replacement FFM from him and it has amazing options! Thats what u need and he has a lot of threads here about fuel filters, pumps etc. Search his threads.

Thanks DEEJAAA I got tons of filter stuff to put in sittin in my kitchen and truthfully I am not real good at mechanic stuff but so far me n this truck are gettin it done!

The filters are usually located at the highest point in the fuel system. This is to
A. assist with bleeding the air out of the system,
B. Prevent fuel from continually siphoning out of your fuel tank by being at the highest point when you change your filter.
C. Ease of filter changes

The lower you move it the more problems you will have. Air always finds the highest point.

That being said many do it without problems

Deejaaa I am gettin ready to put my extra filter somewhere on the fender and I would sure appreciate a pic to see how u did urs!
here's a pic of the spin-on and where i put the FFM. kind of dirty right now but i will clean it up this weekend if i have time after my trip to the salvage yard.
DSC01554.jpg

DSC01555.jpg

DSC01556.jpg

DSC01557.jpg

DSC01558.jpg

going to try to find a TCM and a hose to fix the A/C. and some intake hose to plumb it to a cooler spot, hopefully.

Back