• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel Filter housing heater

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
How do you know when the filter housing heater isn't working? It has been in the upper 40's low 50's here overnight the past couple of weeks. When I go out in the morning the truck sputters for about 10-15 seconds and puffs gray smoke until it smooths out. If I let it idle for about 3-5 minutes I can drive down the road w/ out it sputtering. If I don't wait it sputters for about the 1st 1/2 mile or so. I have been plugging in my block heater and it doesn't sputter when I start it, however if I drive without letting her warm up it will start sputtering while driving down the street until it heats up. What do you guy's think?

Upper 40's... LOL. Wimpy California trucks... :D (j/k)

I went out and started mine today at -38*C (plugged in) and it sounded like it only had 3 cylinders... then 5... then 7 for a while, then finally 8. I went to move it before I let it warm up, and back to 5...

Once the block gets hot enough to help support compression combustion, it's fine. I suspect this is your problem, Rodd... how long has it been since you changed injectors? Mine did that with my old injectors, but only when it's REALLY cold with the new ones.

Let it warm up for a few minutes so the block can hold its own heat. Diesels run better when it's warm - like their owners.

Upper 40's... LOL. Wimpy California trucks... :D (j/k)

I went out and started mine today at -38*C (plugged in) and it sounded like it only had 3 cylinders... then 5... then 7 for a while, then finally 8. I went to move it before I let it warm up, and back to 5...

Once the block gets hot enough to help support compression combustion, it's fine. I suspect this is your problem, Rodd... how long has it been since you changed injectors? Mine did that with my old injectors, but only when it's REALLY cold with the new ones.

Let it warm up for a few minutes so the block can hold its own heat. Diesels run better when it's warm - like their owners.

I just put in rebuilts that I got from dieselpro in July. I do have new bosch marine tips that I tried to rebuild my old injectors but they aren't popping right. I made the mistake of taking apart all my old injectors and soaking them in the same bowl, thus mixing up all the shims and springs. I am looking for a set of used injectors so I can clean up each one individually so this next time they will all pop properly.

Back